Help with lens for Landscape, wide angle?

Propella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a really keen landscape and seascape photographer, and have a Canon 450d - I use a screw on adapter lens (cheap and cheerful) but would like to upgrade this.....when I search for wide angled lens on amazon or e-bay...I get confused by the items offerred, What am I looking for?
:confused:

Well... I guess none of us can say for sure, BUT, if what you want to shoot is broad landscape expanses then one option is shooting them as a panorama. All you need is a tripod and there's lots of free 'stitching' software that will help you put them together.

In general terms (as I'm not a Canonite and can't speak to brand specifics) a wide-angle lens is considered one with a focal length of less than 50mm; as a species, they provide more depth of field and a wider field of few. There are both manufacturer made and third party options, ranging from a couple of hundred dollars to several thousand, and there is also the question of whether you prefer a prime or zoom.

Is there a buget you have, and/or a questions about a specific item?

You may use any lens designed for Canon EOS bodies (as long as it's not made specifically for the new "EOS-M"). That means you can use EF or EF-S lenses. There are also a number of 3rd party companies (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.)

I would suggest you look at lenses in the 10-22mm focal length range.

For example:
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens Review
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM Lens Review
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Lens Review
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX Lens Review

I think in all these reviews he says he prefers the Canon version.

You can go to pixel-peeper.com and select any lens to see hundreds of examples of images taken by that lens. For example: Full-size sample photos from Canon 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5

I used to own the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, it was a great lens. I only sold it because I upgraded to a 'full frame' camera, which isn't compatible with EF-S lenses.

I've heard plenty of good reviews about the Sigma 10-20mm, specifically that's it's almost as good as the Canon 10-22mm...but much less expensive.

The other options mentioned by Tim, are certainly worth looking at.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back