Help with lenses please.

PappyGatmus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had been wanting to buy a couple of lenses, mainly for portrait and another one for landscape. I use a Nikon D5000 and only have a lens AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

First of all, a question. What is the difference between AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G and AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D. They are mainly for portraits right? Hence, another question, would my AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II be suffice for portrait purposes?

Other than those mentioned what would folks here recommend for a portrait lens? Would a prime lens or soom lens be better?

Lastly, I havn't the chance to take landscape pictures. But I figured it's what I would love to do, so I would like to invest in a lens. I hope folks here could help me, because I don't really know what to go for other than what I need might be a wide angle lens.

Thanks in advance!

Edit= Pricing wise, I wouldn't want to spend 4 digit US$ on a lens.

Last edited:
I use Canon. So please correct me if I am wrong.

If you have a camera that do not have the autofocus drive pin such as D40, D40x, D60 or D5000, then go with the AF-S version of the 50mm F/1.4. The other one will work with the cameras mentioned, but manual focus only.

Thanks everyone for the advices! Now I get a better understanding for what I would have to get.

Thanks once more.

EDIT= JustAnEngineer, would that AF-S 60mm f/2.8G Micro ED be a better choice than AF-S 50mm f/1.4G, considering the price? I understand what ED stands for, but could someone clarify with me the micro part?

Thanks everyone for the advices! Now I get a better understanding for what I would have to get.

Thanks once more.

EDIT= JustAnEngineer, would that AF-S 60mm f/2.8G Micro ED be a better choice than AF-S 50mm f/1.4G, considering the price? I understand what ED stands for, but could someone clarify with me the micro part?

It is a personal choice. If you do not need macro, or you prefer a longer focal length macro and get that later, or you need a lens that is very fast ...... then go with the 50mm F/1.4.

F/1.4 is 2 stops faster than F/2.8 (2.8 -> 2.0 -> 1.4)

However, if you want to have one lens that has macro and is decently fast, the 60mm is not a bad choice since both are sharp AF-S lens (according to reviews) and will work with your camera.

Thanks once more.

It is a personal choice. If you do not need macro, or you prefer a longer focal length macro and get that later, or you need a lens that is very fast ...... then go with the 50mm F/1.4.

F/1.4 is 2 stops faster than F/2.8 (2.8 -> 2.0 -> 1.4)

However, if you want to have one lens that has macro and is decently fast, the 60mm is not a bad choice since both are sharp AF-S lens (according to reviews) and will work with your camera.

All righty! Now I am sure which one to get.

Most reactions

Back