Help with light box set up please

new_photo_user

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I want to take nice photos of metallic objects. I use my cell phone. Without flash, the photos were too dark. With flash, there was a bright line in the center of the object. Somebody suggested making a light box. I have some questions:

1. By searching the net, I saw some white sheets surrounding the light box. Could you please name three best type of materials? Is it good to have lots of small holes or not? So I get kind-of transparent ones?

2. What kind of white sheet? should I put inside the box to create that kind of "infinite" illusion?

3. If the dimensions of the object I want to shoot is WxDxH, how many % larger should the light box be?

4. How many light do you recommend? What type and how many watt? A sales suggested getting white LED but he was not so sure.

Thanks.

1. The fabric that is most often recommended is white "rip-stop" nylon. There are other similar fabrics as well, so a visit to your local fabric store will be in order. "Holes"? Holes in the fabric are not wanted. The fabric will diffuse the light.

2. Don't ask for "a sheet", or they will point you toward cotton muslin. Ask for Nylon rip stop in white.

3. I don't think there is any definite proportions, just that the larger the box, the more lights you will need. I sized mine according to the size of the fabric, but if you can sew the fabric together, you can make it any size you wish.

4. I think if you plan on putting a light on each side, including the front and top, that will be a good starting point. If you find that you need more lights, then add more lights. Depending on your budget, you can use ordinary household lighting, meaning desk lamps, table lamps (remove the shades), work lights, or whatever you have. Just make sure to use the same type of bulb in all of the lights for color consistency. If the light color isn't completely white, then you can adjust the color when you edit the photos.

Thanks. Are LED white light blubs the ones to get? The size of my object is(DxWxH) is less than or about : 60 x 100 x 80 cm. How many lights do you recommend?

While I am always in favour of D-I-Y, there are times when it really doesn't make a lot of sense. There are reams of inexpensive, commercially made light-tents in all matter of sizes, with and without lighting equipment, available. Search "light tent" on eBay under "Photography" and you probably have your choice of a thousand.

Before you buy anything else however, I would strongly recommend that you buy the lighting bible. This is, IMO, the single best book on general photographic lighting available, and will tell you how to do almost anything you will ever need.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. Are LED white light blubs the ones to get?
Frankly, if your phone can capture RAW files, it won't matter what color temperature you lights are. You can adjust the color temperature later in editing.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the lights, just don't mix the bulb types and you'll be fine.

How many lights do you recommend?
As I wrote earlier; the number of lights is going to depend on how big the light box (or tent) is, and how translucent the fabric is.

The biggest objects that I want to take photos of are of size (DxWxH): 56 x 40 x 75 cm and 56 x 100 x 75 cm. I "guess" a light box of size 1200 x 1500 x 1200 might be good. What do you think? In such case, how many lights do you recommend? For fabric, I should look for something that do not have holes even small ones. Am I right?

What do you think? In such case, how many lights do you recommend? For fabric, I should look for something that do not have holes even small ones. Am I right?
The number of lights will depend on not only how big the light box is, but also the type and power of the lights. You will have to experiment.

I don't understand about holes in the fabric. Why would any fabric come with holes in it? What kind of fabric has holes? You do not want any holes in the fabric.

tracing paper, parchment paper, shower curtain liner...

What do you think? In such case, how many lights do you recommend? For fabric, I should look for something that do not have holes even small ones. Am I right?
The number of lights will depend on not only how big the light box is, but also the type and power of the lights. You will have to experiment.

I don't understand about holes in the fabric. Why would any fabric come with holes in it? What kind of fabric has holes? You do not want any holes in the fabric.

I am not sure. Designer mentioned that "Holes in the fabric are not wanted." in Post #2.

Here's an idea: Just purchase one already made instead of trying to make one while trying to imagine what one might look like.

If you go with a ready made light tent, you won't need tracing paper. I agree that the ready made tent is your best bet.

I checked Amazon in my country but they seem to be more expensive than self made one. That is the problem. Do you guys have any recommendation? I can check if I can get it locally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back