Help with lighting my make-up studio!

SmudgeMakeup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

Let me start by saying, I'm not a photographer - I'm a make-up artist. My husband and I just bought a house, and I'm converting one bedroom into my home studio and I need some help from you experts on lighting.

The best lighting for make-up is natural light - however being that my studio is in the basement, and make-up happens in all seasons, at all times of the day, I can't rely on my window, so I'm looking at getting something to mimic natural light - which is where I need your help.

I'm completely out of my element on this, so please be gentle. I'm not sure what I need, a softbox? diffusion panel? Umbrella? I'm not sure. All I know is that I want continuous light, rather than a strobe. And as close to natural light as possible.

As well - I'm in Edmonton, Ab - just moved up here from Calgary, and I have no idea where the best places to buy these things are, so any help in that respect is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much everyone!

Not sure what you're after; is it just illumination for applying make-up in studio? If so, then there are a whole host of daylight balanced bulbs which will give you the closest thing to natural light that you can get. Soft-boxes and so forth are modifiers generally used to 'soften' light. Michael's (as well as many lighting stores) carry a range of products by Ott which while a bit pricey produce a very nice, natural appearing light. If you need to soften it, something as simple as translucent plastic over the bulb will do what you need.

Basically I'm looking for a light that will mimic a large window in the middle of the day - something that will stay on continuously while I work.

Thanks for the tips, I will look into those.

Basically I'm looking for a light that will mimic a large window in the middle of the day - something that will stay on continuously while I work.

Thanks for the tips, I will look into those.
Your best bet will be to consult with a lighting designer; on the surface this seems like a fairly simple thing, but there's actually a lot to consider, not the least of which is how to manage the intensity of a light only a few feet away which is supposed to mimic one 96,000,000 miles away!

Most reactions

Back