Help with lighting my rice please

Even at F8 it turned into mush :-(

Then shoot it at f/16... or f/22 and see what haopens. ;)

I'll try but don't want everything in focus.

I think the thing here is that rice either has to be very sharp or it looks likes mush.

So I either have to put it at the front or try focus stacking which I'm going to do.

Thanks

Rice at front in a recent photo
carribean chicken.jpg

A hard light just means don't use the soft box :) You might use just the unadorned flash with a lower power or at some distance. If the light that's generated seems too hard, try shooting the flash at the small bounce and using the bounced light. The idea is that you want the light source to have a much smaller area than the big area you get with a soft box, and you want that light to be highly directional instead of spread out.

You say a "hard light rear" but I've only been at this a few months, so what type of light are you referring to?

I have a big and small bounce.

Thanks.

So in short, I remover the diffuser from the softbox (5500 lamp) point it at a reflector (I have a large white/silver one and a small gold/white one) and reflect at the food?

Thanks

Michael

Try it without any diffusion first and see what it does. If it's to harsh, the step up the diffusion until you get what you like. You can step up the diffusion by bouncing, shooting through an umbrella, etc. You'll just have to play with it. I've known people to use mirrors, white towels, paper, etc. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back