Help with Lighting Question

clockwurk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
jon.jpg

I would like to shoot this high key style of portraits.

I know the person that shot this with one Interfit stellar 600w strobe on a 44" soft box.

I currently have 2 SB-800 and 1 SB-600 and just ordered 2x32" umbrella kit. I wanted to know if it was possible to replicate this look with what I have and if not, what would I need in addition to it, OR do I need a completely different setup?

I am fairly new at this, so I do not know if the My 3 Nikon flashes can match up with the 600w Interfit strobe.... Ultimately my goal is to shoot portraits like this and I like the convenience of the hot-shoes flashes, but if I cant I would like to know now, so I can get the Interfit 600w as appose to another sb-800 or 900.

Thank you in advance for the help.

You have way more then enough power with those flashes to shoot this type of shot.

You could use one flash to blow out the wall and one for the subject. That or have the subject relatively close to the wall with the flash as far away as possible so you don't get a lot of light fall off. You'd need a diffuser like a umbrella or such.

Agree with Dom that your two 800's alone could produce this look ... I agree with VI that a diffuser (of some sort) is going to be important ...

Anyone else think about the movie PeeWee's Big Adventure when you see this image, or am I the only lunatic that would ever reference PeeWee Herman in any other form other than a joke ... :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys! I get my umbrellas Monday. I'll post what I come up with.

LBPhotog, you're dead on. I know the kid. He's a Pee Wee fan :)

pull subject off wall by about 20' so you can light the two independantly (they can be closer but baby steps for now).

1. use sb-800 bare at about 1/4 power to blow out the wall. if you put it on the lightstand at about the 6' height and flag the bottom of the flash so it doesn't spill as much light downwards, you will get the bottom of your frame to be darker as seen above. ( or have flash close to wall so it falls off quickly)

2. sb-800 in a shoot through above the head of the subject and camera. prolly like 1/16th or so.

3. shoot at 1/250th shutter speed to kill ambient light, and like f4 for starters to see where everything is.

from there you can make minor adjustments depending on what is going on in your test shots

Last edited:
I agree with point given by Rondal, i also suggest you to use some diffuser it will produce good effects

Most reactions

Back