Help with modifiers?

bigalbest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sandphotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ordered four Profoto monolights (two 660r's and two 1200r's), and would like to start getting some modifiers for them. The two 600's are in a kit with two standard reflectors and two umbrellas, but the 1200's don't come with anything. I have a $1,000 budget for this and would like to get some large reflectors, a beauty dish and a couple medium softboxes. The Profoto accessories are way expensive, does anyone know of some affordable options? Thanks for any help.

One word. Foamcore. Basically you can fashion any shape or effect you desire. Some people shoot beauty dish style. Others shoot Soffbox style. Most use a combination of the two. Work with your lights and foamcore for a while and then see what modifiers suit your style. You will need tons of light stands and at least one C stand, so I would look into those items before anything.

Love & Bass

One word. Foamcore. Basically you can fashion any shape or effect you desire. Some people shoot beauty dish style. Others shoot Soffbox style. Most use a combination of the two. Work with your lights and foamcore for a while and then see what modifiers suit your style. You will need tons of light stands and at least one C stand, so I would look into those items before anything.

Love & Bass

I think foamcore might work just fine but I need something a little more durable and presentable to my customers. I've got the stands covered already but thanks for the ideas.

I ended up going with Photoflex softboxes which are very reasonably priced along with their speedrings made for the Profoto heads. I also bought some of the Profoto reflectors despite the high cost because I haven't been able to find an alternative. There are well priced reflectors out there but after getting a Profoto mount for them and finding an attachment method the savings would be small while the quality might be seriously compromised. I don't recommend this but I took my thousand dollar budget to Las Vegas this weekend and won another $1700 giving me a little more breathing room. :mrgreen:

I like softboxes...and having at least one large one would be nice. That makes for a great main light. An umbrella is usually suitable for a fill light but if you are doing low key stuff, then another softbox can really help to constrain your light spill.

You might want something to create/control a tighter light. I have a set of honeycomb grids and they are great.

I like softboxes...and having at least one large one would be nice. That makes for a great main light. An umbrella is usually suitable for a fill light but if you are doing low key stuff, then another softbox can really help to constrain your light spill.

You might want something to create/control a tighter light. I have a set of honeycomb grids and they are great.

Yes, grids are the next thing on my list, but the prices are really scary and I'm really trying to find some other solutions before buying. This guy is doing stuff that is really close to the look I want to get, and his blog goes into some detail about how to use multiple soft sources with grids to get these type of shots.

Have I seen that guy featured on Strobist? I like that style of lighting, it's pretty dramatic.

Grids on softboxes can be great, but yes, rather expensive.

The grids that I use (THESE), go directly into the reflectors...so the light isn't so soft.

3128431363_9e8355a550_o.jpg

It's here at last, my very own Profoto light kit. Came in the mail today and I have been busy unpacking and running a few tests. Two 600r Compact heads, two 1200r Compact heads, two standard reflectors, two Magnum reflectors, and a soft white reflector (beauty dish). I also received several softboxes of various sizes, and can now shoot my jobs without paying for rental equipment, wooo hooo!

Most reactions

Back