Help with multiple film types

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I have only been shooting with film for a while and 400 speed seems to work well however I'd like to try something different. I've heard a lot of people talking about 100 speed and slides etc. Which one is better for longer exposures? I'll be working with natural light and a tripod. I'm interested in landscape and macro photography </treehugger> lol. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks

With a non-moving subject and a tripod, film speed doesn't matter and the only criteria is grain or the lack of it. Lower ISO = less grainy negative/slide.

You mentioned longer exposures. If they're really long, reciprocity failure may become important. Check it out.

What he said. ^

Fuji Provia 100F is a good film for long exposures. Reciprocity failure begins after 10 seconds I believe, I think you compensate by adding 1/3 to the exposure after that. Long exposures at night are a lot of guess work anyway.

Slide film is highly recommend for landscape work.

Reciprocity failure happens with exposures of 1 second or longer and differ from film to film. Look up the technical data sheet on whatever film you are using and it will give you the reciprocity failure for that film. It is very important for transparency films because that exposure needs to be right on.

The vast majority of Landscape photographers like to use slow films like the Fuji Velvia 50 or the newer Velvia 100.

When using slow films it is easier to creat those soft water effects by using a slow shutter speed. Waterfalls that look like cotton or soft etherial misty waves on a shoreline are achieved by using shutter speeds of 1/2sec to several seconds and slow films facilitate that.

The velvia sounds like something I could use. I'll try it out. I priced it on Amazon and boy is it expensive. Do I need to have this developed at a special shop or can anyone do it?

Dylan said:
The velvia sounds like something I could use. I'll try it out. I priced it on Amazon and boy is it expensive. Do I need to have this developed at a special shop or can anyone do it?

Slide film is developed with an E6 process, and is not readily available at your local 1 hour photo. I'd look for a pro lab near you.

Remeber to that once the slide are back they will have to be scanned and printed. Most 1 hour labs don't do this either. If you are just learning I think I would just try some Fuji 100 film or 200 film from a department store. You won't get pro results but you will learn to shot the slower film.

Hmmm that's a good point. I don't have the right kind of scanner for negatives. I guess it couldn't hurt to try with the regular 100 untill I get some practice. thanks for the advice.

I have had good luck with the Wal-Mart Fuji film. Sometimes it over saturates some but when you get your film developed tell them cd only. It will only cost $5.00 or less. Take your cd home and PhotoShop your scans. I am shooting e-6 right now but I do have an older scanner I got off of e-bay. You can get a fairly good scanner at office depot for $150.00 or so.
Cosmo
Also e-6 is very unforgiveing with exposure, it's easier to screw it up. Standard film exposure can be fixed, 2 to 3 stops by the lab and you never really know if you nailed exposure right.

Since you have to find a pro lab to develop your E-6, they can certainly scan it for you as well. That's how they would make prints for you anyway. Everything is digital in commercial printing now.

This is true, but they charge anywhere from $2.00 and up per print. It can get pretty pricey. As far as developing I have found a lab that charges only $5.00 per 24 exposure roll...
Cosmo

You don't need to get prints in order to get scans. Just get develops and scans. My pro lab, which is expensive imho, charges $0.43 per frame for a 4x6" 300 dpi scan.

Good point. That's what I usally do too. Once you get it on computer you can Photoshop it and order a print anytime. And if you have a good enough printer do it in house. Wal-mart will scan for .58 cents per scan. I have to tell the lab NO TO ADJUST or they will lighten or darken your scans and sometimes ruin the quality by blowing out the sky or something....
Cosmo

Most reactions

Back