Help with my lighting setup

digabella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In answer to a different question someone offered to help me with my ligting setup, but no one really said anything about that in that post so I thought I would just start a new question just about the lighting. The lights are delicacy 180's (not sure if that's good or bad) with 2 umbrella's, 1 soft box and a barn door that I can't seem to get to do anything but blow whatever it is lighting out. I can turn it down to 1/2 power, the rest can go to 1/4 power-which is generally where I keep them. The soft box is about 7-7 1/2 feet from the background on camera's right. The umbrella's are to the left and just kind of moved around. The barn door is sitting off by his lonesome. :confused: I'm shooting my first official kid shoot Friday and am just wondering the best way to set up lights and such.

Here's the pictures of the studio room.

DSC_9631 by digabella, on Flickr

DSC_9630 by digabella, on Flickr

Last edited:
HERE is how I would set up a three-light setup, for your situation, Softbox, camera right, angled toward the corner of the rug. Subject right on that round decorative place in the center of the rug, Camera in the center of the background,aimed straight ahead. (In your photo, the softbox is wayyyyyyy too high for a seated child!!! It will need to be brought down!

Fill light,the reflecting umbrella, aimed STRAIGHT AHEAD, and placed IMMEDIATELY to the left of the camera--not off to the side at an angle, but aimed straight ahead, as close to the camera as you can get it, at the exact height of the camera. Off to the left, I would use that enclosed umbrella, as a rim/separation light. Make sure your lens does not flare from the rim/separation light! Shield the lens with a go-between of cardboard or "something" mounted on a light stand to act as a "gobo" or go-between or "flag".

Here is the lighting diagram I just created for you.
original.jpg

Thanks Derrel, I will definitely try that setup.

Holy Mother of Gawd... if you're going to be doing an "official" shoot, get your cords and cables sorted out! Especially if you are going to have children in there. Cords run straight down the light stand, under a leg, and along the floor in a cord protector, NOT coming off the lights at whatever angle they're pulled to. If you need extension cords, get them! Your current set-up, especially with children is a recipe for disaster (Your insurance is paid isn't it?).

Edited to add: The light on the reflecting umbrella in your first image looks WAY too close to the umbrella; the umbrella should be far enough away so that the light fills without spilling, but no so close that you get a hot-spot.

Thanks Tirediron. Never thought about the cords. I just partially set up the room this week but I will definitely do something with the cords. (Yes, insurance is paid)

Makes sense on the umbrella too, so I'll fix that too.

Most reactions

Back