Help with new Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

AprilEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aprilreppucci.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got this lens so I could have a really shallow DOF and good exposure indoors with low light. I am having a hard time with it because I guess I am used to the easy auto focus like with the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm. Any pointers from my peeps who have this lens (Rez? e.rose?) or anyone else? Much appreciated. :sexywink:

any example pics? What are your issues or confusion on?

My guess is that you're shooting with it wide open at f/1.4. Because of such a shallow DOF it'll be hard to get any of the pics in focus.

Mine's a Sigma, I think the Canon outperforms it in terms of autofocus.

Basically, focusing and recomposing rarely works when working with such a shallow depth of field. If I'm taking a picture of a person, wide open at f/1.4, I find that I get best results when selecting a single one of the (nine? crap, I forget) focus points and placing that directly over their eye. Also, take a few different shots, allowing the camera to focus for each one - because the autofocus isn't exactly perfect every time (especially on our Rebel bodies).

I can't post any pics at the moment (not at home), but what is the issue with focus. mine works exceptional.

Basically, focusing and recomposing rarely works when working with such a shallow depth of field. If I'm taking a picture of a person, wide open at f/1.4, I find that I get best results when selecting a single one of the (nine? crap, I forget) focus points and placing that directly over their eye. Also, take a few different shots, allowing the camera to focus for each one - because the autofocus isn't exactly perfect every time (especially on our Rebel bodies).

I agree... recomposing doesn't work at such a shallow DOF...

That being said... I actually *have* the lens that you're referring to... and I'd love to help you... except I'm not really sure what you need help with. :lol:

Can we get some clarification? :sexywink:

Ok here are a few shots... All indoors and yes the light is pink and purple. The balloons are the only ones that look good. I hope I am not being too vague... I know those who have the lens can probably nail it down for me. Hope the pictures help.
IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4484.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg

This is a good point because I was shooting in a hurry. But like shooting bands (E...) I imagine you have to move quick as well. REZ your daughter's Christmas bokeh shots were with this lens, correct? Love those.

I agree... recomposing doesn't work at such a shallow DOF...

That being said... I actually *have* the lens that you're referring to... and I'd love to help you... except I'm not really sure what you need help with. :lol:

Can we get some clarification? :sexywink:

Well When I look at the shots you do of the band, they are all so clear and you must have to move a bit quick. I shot the pic of the girl dancing (like band members move around, right) but she is fuzzy. I shot a few of her... all fuzzy. :(

First one is camera shake & motion blur (1/10 second is wayyy too slow for a handheld shot, especially on someone who's moving). Even with ISO 3200 and f/1.4 that was the best you could get in that light. Simply too dark to take a normal photo.

Second two were 1/60, both with very high ISO too, 3200 and 2500 respectively. #2 looks pretty sharp, but #3 looks like a combination of camera shake/motion blur and maybe slightly missed focus. It's hard to say.

Why weren't you using your 430ex? Pointing it straight at the ceiling would have been great for these indoor shots. Then you could have stopped down to at least f/2.8, f/4 or f/5.6 maybe and you would see how sharp a decent prime lens can get.

EDIT---Ah crap you asked me a q, sry.

Yeah one of the photos of her is with the Sigma 50. It's a poorly composed photo and, looking back, I don't like the processing I did. It does, however, show how the Sigma renders both foreground and background blur - which it does pretty well.

First one is camera shake & motion blur (1/10 second is wayyy too slow for a handheld shot, especially on someone who's moving). Even with ISO 3200 and f/1.4 that was the best you could get in that light. Simply too dark to take a normal photo.

Yep...

When I'm shooting bands I manual focus. The AF is not fast enough to catch the guys, nor does it even work well half the time in low-light conditions such as that.

As Rez said 1/10 second is *way* too slow for a handheld shot... I try not to drop below 1/80 with that lens and *definitely* not 1/50 while hand holding. In low-light you're definitely going to need to up the ISO... When I shoot the band stuff my ISO lives between 1600 and 3200.\

I also agree with Rez in the fact that it might have just been too dark period, even for that lens, where you were. If you were open all the way and your ISO was jacked up that high and your shutter speed was slow enough (but fast enough to stop action and prevent blur) and they were *still* coming out dark... use your flash.

It's an awesome lens for sure, and once you get used to it, you'll love it, but it still has it's limitations :sexywink:

Does that help?

I must agree with the rest, simply motion blur.
If I learned anything about shooting indoors, the use of proper flash allows you to make simpler adjustments so;
a. you don't have to shoot wide open and miss focus.
b. your shutter speed isnt in so slow that everything is motion blur.
c. your iso is jacked up so high everything is grainy.

I know the color of the lighting was pink and purple, not sure if I would dig the pictures even if the blur wasnt there because of the colors.
Keep practicing with your flash, I think it will make your life easier. :thumbup:

Also, you're used to lenses that have image stabilization. Even the kit lens isn't bad in that department and at its wider focal lengths ( < 35mm) you could probably get away with handholding 1/10 shots.

Yep...

When I'm shooting bands I manual focus. The AF is not fast enough to catch the guys, nor does it even work well half the time in low-light conditions such as that.

As Rez said 1/10 second is *way* too slow for a handheld shot... I try not to drop below 1/80 with that lens and *definitely* not 1/50 while hand holding. In low-light you're definitely going to need to up the ISO... When I shoot the band stuff my ISO lives between 1600 and 3200.\

I also agree with Rez in the fact that it might have just been too dark period, even for that lens, where you were. If you were open all the way and your ISO was jacked up that high and your shutter speed was slow enough (but fast enough to stop action and prevent blur) and they were *still* coming out dark... use your flash.

It's an awesome lens for sure, and once you get used to it, you'll love it, but it still has it's limitations :sexywink:

Does that help?

Mine has no problem focusing on a 5D and 1Dmk2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back