Help with photo colors..?

natt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to "fix" an older photo that has been yellowed in the top corners. I'd like to find a way to remove this yellow, and also make the colors in the whole picture stronger and fresh, if you know what I mean.

I am using photoshop cs2, and here is the picture:

http://www.unenlightened.com/astridkase.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being lazy and trying to find someone I can make "fix" it for me. Not that I'd mind :hail: But I'm hoping that someone has a tutorial or tip for me. Any ideas? I know it can be done, but I don't know how to. I've tried but it didn't work out.

I won't say I am a pro at PS, I do my share of fumbling. But try using curves and bring up the highlights 1/3 to 1/2 a stop. Then go to Image/adjustments/variations. This is a simple way to visuallize what you are changing if you have a hard time with the channel mixer/color wheel concept. Set the slider at the top of the variations dialog box to the fine side to make very small adjustments and play a little. When you get what looks good to you try adjusting the contrast up a little to give it back some pop. Let us know what you come up with. You will never be able to get an old photo to look like new, but you can make a big improvement.

Here's a quick attempt using colour balance and the magic wand to selectively lighten and darken bits. It's a tough photo because there isn't much contrast on the subject and it loses the detail very quickly if you're not careful. Let me know if you like it and you'd like a better attempt with more instructions!

Attachments

• $astridkase.jpg
    $astridkase.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 81
I didn't know you wanted the dress so pink but this is what I came up with...

astridkaseedit.jpg

levels, selective color, cloning on snow for yellow, darkened shadows in face and dress to add dimension- thats bout it.

wonderful job restoring that picture. I think it looses some of its older quality though. It does look as though it was taken yesterday, which is amazing.

Would there be a way to keep that antique quality to it still.

Most reactions

Back