Help with photography job

wyldkard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zcampphoto.com
I was contacted yesterday by this girl I'm seeing. She said "My boss really likes your work. She wants to hire you to shoot a picture for her newspaper. She needs a picture of a red rose." So I get the rest of the details and I'll be shooting it today after work. However, I don't really know what the going rate is for doing something like this. Since I still don't consider myself a pro, I usually tell them "whatever you think is fair for my time and the photo." With it being a newspaper and all, I'm trying to decide what I should ask for...credit for the photo, copies of the newspaper, how much money(if any), etc.

So, what does everyone else think? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Okay...breaking news on the photo. I thought the photo was just going to be used in the newspaper once. I find out today that this is going to be a new newspaper hitting stands in August. The photo of the rose is going to be incorporated into the logo for the paper. So, any thoughts?

Hi wyldkard, I always believe that honesty is the best policy. Tell them you are new at this and as you did the right thing as far as discussing the price. Take advantage of them and tap their brains as far as pricing is concerned i.e. What do you normally pay for this type of shot ?? What's your budget ?? Slowly but surely, you will be able to ascertain what your time is worth based on the quality of your work. Good luck.

You should ask for one million dollars!! (trusty sidekick, "this is the 20th century...1 million is not that much)

The price is going to be One Hundred Million Dollars (puts his pinky finger to his mouth) Muh hahahahaha!!! Muh hahahahaha!!!! :lol: :lmao:

On a serious note...you may want to think about setting up some type of royalty thing...as in you get paid everytime they print your picture. For example you charge 1/2 a cent everytime they print your pic...instead of selling the rights to your image.

I have never sold any of my images so I don't know if 1/2 a cent is a good price...but I would try and get some type of royalty that way you still own the image and can lease it to other people as well.

Just a thought.

I'm not concerned about leasing the image to anyone else. I took over 300 photos of a rose last night from all different angles, short stem, long stem, misted, non-misted, close up, b&w, color, etc. etc. I have plenty that look the same.

So I linked them to a hidden gallery on my site today. They liked several and wanted a hi-res copy to play with to see if it would work. They couldn't get it figured out, so I offered to take a crack at it if they provided the sample logo. So this afternoon I quickly(5-10 minutes) got a sample to them...they loved it...but can you flip it the other way? I sure can. So all afternoon I've been not only providing the picture, but designing the logo for them. How much does that cost?

On a side note, they want to hire me full time. :mrgreen:

Provide the work and keep a very open dialogue. You are a new photog and they are a new publication. At this point I would go with some work and a photo credit. There is money in publishing, but it is hard to find.

If you go for royalties, or for payment for THAT particular image, get the contract signed BEFORE you sign on to work for them.

If you did the logo design, then that's obviously worth quite a bit more than if you'd just supplied the photo.

Depending on circulation, half a cent per copy might be really good. It it's small circulation and/or occasional publication, then a lump up front might be more appropriate. If they're going to put it on the sign outside the building, and on their company hats and trucks, consider that, as well.

Consider consulting with an agent. You've already got a sale; any agent would be a fool not to take the job--and that's what they do for a living. Just make sure the agent is reputable.

i would definately say an agent is a nice idea.
obiviously you're good enough to get work.
but finding it is hard, and knowing how to handle things is hard too, so agent = helpful (in a nutshell)

here give her this

rose.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back