help with portfolio creation

bluebora20v

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm interested in possibly putting together a simple portfolio and i'm looking for pointers since i've never done this before and have no idea what a good portfolio should be. all of my photography up to this point is digital. i shoot in b&w and in color. any information would be much appreciated. tia

Well, the way I did mine was:

First page was my contact info, and business card graphic. Then I started off with my best color still lifes (About 4) and one color portrait. Then, I moves on to my black and white stuff - 4 pages of randomness, then one B&W portrait. At the end I had the rest of my color stuff, and resume on the last page.

So far, it's worked pretty well, but I also get novelty points for being a 16 year old with a portfolio and a decent photo resume :p

i would recommend using 8x10s or 8x12s in your portfolio. it looks more impressive than small prints and each picture can dominate a page. to do it cheaply, i would get a nice binder and some plastic page sleeves. cut up some black paper to fit and attach your photos. or you could go to a craft supply store and get some scrapbooking materials. (just make sure everything is acid free.)

as far as order or any of that goes... i can't see it mattering too much. if you have series', keep them together, but put the photos in whatever order seems to make sense to you and what you want it to accomplish.

green said:
i would recommend using 8x10s or 8x12s in your portfolio. it looks more impressive than small prints and each picture can dominate a page. to do it cheaply, i would get a nice binder and some plastic page sleeves. cut up some black paper to fit and attach your photos. or you could go to a craft supply store and get some scrapbooking materials. (just make sure everything is acid free.)

as far as order or any of that goes... i can't see it mattering too much. if you have series', keep them together, but put the photos in whatever order seems to make sense to you and what you want it to accomplish.

Well, there have been millions of articles written in the last 50 years on how to make the most effective portfolio, all contradicting eachother. Unfortunatly this helps no one.

I feel that the best print size for a portfolio is 11x14, in a 14x17 portfolio. It allows large format prints, and looks nice. The only problem is toting around a big assed folder.

UK Portfolios are offering free online portfolios for photographers. Well designed pages that allow you to edit, change background colour, and keyword images. Also your name is the link to your portfolio page. Well worth a try! https://www.ukportfolios.com
Direct link to registration form- http://www.ukportfolios.com/signup/create_portfolio.htm
You can add your images to the ecommerce library- but it does cost £2 per month- but the basic portfolio is totally free

An online portfolio is ok, but I think a physical one cant be beat. :0) Cant really go into an art gallery or something and ask them to go online, instead of showing them printed stuff.

Most reactions

Back