Help with pricing for Christmas card photos

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An acquaintance of mine asked me to shoot some photos of her and her dog for Christmas cards. She asked me what I would charge and I told her that we'd see how it goes and negotiate from there. Yes, I know, this is a big no-no, so you don't need to scold me for it. This was the first time I'd ever done photos for a client and she's not the sort of person who is going to turn around and not pay.

Anyway, I got some good shots and she really likes them, and I don't really know what to charge. I spent about an hour doing photos and another half-hour processing them. As a starting point, the regular rate of the web development company I work for is $45/hour, but I understand that the rate for photography can vary with photo usage. I gave her the photos on a CD and she will be using them to print Christmas cards (and probably post on Facebook and what-have-you, but that's probably irrelevant).

How do I calculate this?

We really can't answer this for you. Someone might charge her $20...someone else might charge $200 or $2000.

On one hand you don't want to charge too much and put her off. A happy client will reffer you to others...an unhappy client won't. But on the other hand, you don't want to be known as 'the cheap photographer'.

Most reactions

Back