Help with printing pics pease

milosmyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
help am fairly new at this but i have a Photosmart c4100 all in one.

When I try to print my 4x6s the printer will only print the centre of the picture.
Have asked HP for help but the 7 e mails I got from them did not solve the problem.

Tried to change print size, resolution, borders or no borders, editing program and anything else i could think of but no luck....

any ideas...

Welcome to the forum.

So are you trying to print 4x6 images onto letter sized paper...or are you using 4x6 paper?

Im using proper photo paper 4x6 and A4s Big Mike. Picture is fine on A4s but not on 4x6s

I see...so the problem is that the printer is not sizing the image to fit the paper? Check the printer settings to see if there is a 'stretch to fit' or something like that.

It has more to do with the software you are printing from than the printer, I think. I have either that printer or a similar one. The problem is obviously that the image is the wrong size and the printer isn't resizing it. Try resizing it first in the software and then print it. I print from Photoshop and none of my images are ever the right aspect ratio for the paper so I print to the largest dimension and leave 2 white borders. The software should have a preview function that lets you know what is going to be included in the print. You can adjust from that.

I have changed the printer settings to "stretch to fit" and used Photoshop to change dimensions but as with fmw I still have 2 white borders. When I try to change the image in the preview window it streaches the whole picture so I am back where I started.
Surly there must be some way of printing 4x6 pictures onto 4x6 paper without losing parts of the picture or changing all settings on all my equipment.

I have changed the printer settings to "stretch to fit" and used Photoshop to change dimensions but as with fmw I still have 2 white borders.
Does your image have the 2:3 (4x6) ratio? If not...it won't fit a 4x6 sheet without cropping or leaving blank borders.

Try this...in photoshop, click on the crop tool and then use the pull down to select one of the presets. Choose '4x6 @ 300 PPI'...then crop the image with the crop tool. Then you can be sure that your image is the right size and resolution.

The ratio (Length to Breadth) of the paper (6X4 ie 3:2) is probably different from the Ratio of the camera image eg.3888 X 2592 (in this case 3:2). In the case I have mentioned the images will print directly on to 6 X 4 Paper with no loss or over spill. However this is a comparatively unusual Ratio.
If your Ratio is different then you will either have to print with borders, or crop in and lose some of the image.

have used photoshop to crop to 4x6 but the printer is still only printing the "center" of the picture.

Would it make more sense to print onto 5x8s with the 4x6 settings and is it difficult to get 5x8 paper. Have not seen many in stores

Mine does the same thing so what I have to do is I have to make sure the picture is definately sized for 4x6 I just used Picassa to do that then I have to print from the software that came with the printer. Also check that the piece that slides on top of the printer is set for 4x6 if it is a little off then it will make the boarder.

did you change the paper size setting in your printer properties?

have used photoshop to crop to 4x6 but the printer is still only printing the "center" of the picture.

Would it make more sense to print onto 5x8s with the 4x6 settings and is it difficult to get 5x8 paper. Have not seen many in stores

cut a 8x10 in halves.....you get 2-5x8s

cut a 8x10 in halves.....you get 2-5x8s

cool

Picassa ????

Most reactions

Back