Help with RAW

bellaonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me - I hope so!
I have a Canon EOS 350D and Photoshop Elements 5. I have been using both quite happily for some time but I have now come across a problem...
Until now I have always shot in JPEG mode, but have been wanting to learn about RAW, so this weekend when I went out with my camera I took some pictures in JPEG format and then a load more in RAW format.
But now when I try to download the pictures to my computer the computer only seems to see the JPEGs. The RAWs are definitely on the memory card, but they don't appear in the download window for me to import them to the computer.
What am I doing wrong? I can't see any sort of option that says the computer is only looking for JPEGs, or any mention of RAWs at all in the downloader...
Thanks!

I don't have a Canon, so I can't say, but does it store them in a different folder?

Could we get a little more info on the OS and software used? What was the download window exactly?

Before I installed my Nikon software, I don't think Windows recognized the files on my card as image files. Maybe it's the same for Canon.

Also, I wasn't using windows wizards to download them , I would just browse to the drive that my card became and then copied/moved them wherever I wanted.

Yeah, the importing app probably simply does not 'see' the RAW files. I checked a couple of reviews for PS5 and no mention of RAW. Maybe you need to get PSE6.

Thanks for your comments guys...

To clarify. Photoshop Elements definitely knows how to deal with RAWs - or at least if you click the help button it brings up lots of instructions relating to RAWs - but none that help with this problem.

I tried to 'browse to the drive' as you said, but my computer doesn't seem to see my camera as a drive so I can't manually copy and paste which is what I was also hoping to do.

The software is photoshop elements 5 running on Windows XP. The download window is the one that pops up automatically with elements when you attach your camera. It normally has a big window showing thumbnails of all the pictures on the camera with checkboxes so you can choose which ones you want to import, and a whole list of options on the side for where you want to save them.

Have you tried to import RAW photo files made with another brand camera? PSE5 may not be able to handle some RAW flavours (every manufacturer has their own 'twist' of RAW format, there are thirty of them!), and your problem could be a demonstration of that.

I had a similar problem when i first started with this on my Canon 20D, After hours of messing around with it, i picked up the manual and figured out that the camera's communication was set to Normal and it needed to be set to PTP, after you set it to PTP you will see all of your .CR2 files (RAW format). You can download a RAW thumbnail / picture viewer from Microsoft to windows XP, that helps alot.

Also, if this doesn't work, you can try using an external card reader, I've read it eliminate's this issue.

Hope this helps you.

thanks.
Will

i had similar problems with a canon 20D trying to import to the old version of iPhoto before it was combatible with RAW formats, then i tried on my PC, and with xp i used the microsoft scanner and camera wizard and chose advanced user options, which lets you look at the card as a drive with the camera connected then just dragged the .CR2 files, and worked out programs to edit or view with from then...

for viewing i love irfan view

Definitely check for software update. Adobe Camera RAW just released another update last week or so. Older software will not read the newer CR2 file. I had to update Canon's DPP when I got the 40D since the original did not read the newer RAW format.

Most reactions

Back