Help with senior pictures

niccas9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not delusional about my skills and I totally understand that I am a noob hobbyist. That being said, I am doing a favor for a co-worker. She is has a son that is graduating soon and she opted out of getting senior pictures because of the costs associated. I told her that I have a decent camera and I am trying to learn how to take better portraits and I would take some shots of her son that she can use for senior pictures/announcements for free. I met with him once about two weeks ago and it wasn't as productive as I would have liked. A number of shots that I thought had some potential were ruined by ultra-messy hair, I also could not get him in a post that seemed natural. I will throw up a couple of the shots that I thought were salvageable but I need advice for natural posing please.

When giving CC please take into consideration that this is a free thing I am doing as a favor to try and gain some experience and I am not trying to act like a pro by any means. I am looking for useful tips that will help me gain some knowledge and produce some decent pictures that I can be proud to give to my co-worker for her son's graduation.

IMG_2001.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG

First of all, what is the end-goal of the images? Do you want formal portraits, or casual shots?

Just looking at the images you've posted:

1. Missed focus = automatic throw-away. Watch your point of focus, and consider your aperture and camera to subject distance. In short, know your depth of field! Chain-link almost never makes a good background.

2. This isn't bad; nicely posed for a casual shot, focused and correctly exposed. Watch for things like his left elbow; give him some breathing room, the same with the left knee. If you need to crop limbs do boldly and NEVER through or near a joint.

3. Complicated, distracting background and significantly under-exposed. This sort of shot is almost always stronger when composed in a vertical (portrait) orientation.

Overall, they're a good starting point. I wouldn't worry about the hair; that's who he is. As for posing, spend some time on-line, look at other senior pictures and choose poses you think would be appropriate, and have him emulate them. Skip the monochrome conversions 'til you've got the basics down pat.

Thanks for the feedback. There was a huge difference from reading/researching to actually being out there and taking pictures. I had lots of ideas going into it, but it changes once you are out there and having to deal with light, backgrounds, poses. I was really not happy with any of the photos that I took that day but needed something to throw up here to show what I had. I am going to meet up with him again next week for a longer session so I can apply some of the thoughts. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back