Help with settings in a delivery room??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn4u1617

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all. So, I'm not by any means, a photographer (more like a wanna-be photographer). I start school for it soon. I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice? My best friend is due to have her baby VERY soon (she's due August 3rd). I will be in the delivery room to take pictures so that her husband can focus on her and the baby instead of fumbling around, trying to get a picture. I want these pictures to be as good as I am able to get them. I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea what settings I'd need to use on my camera? Like for my ISO and whatnot. I have a Canon t2i with the 18-55mm kit lense and a 55-250mm lense that my husband just recently got for me for my birthday. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

It all depends on the amount (and quality) of light in the room. Every room is different, so there's no way we can say use this shutter speed, this ISO and this aperture.

Without being there to see it/meter it, nobody can predetermine what settings would be best.

I think if I was there with your gear, I'd use the 18-55 lens (no need for telephoto) and set the camera to Av mode (Aperture priority) and set the aperture (f-stop) somewhere between f5.6 and f8.0 to get a decent Depth of Field (DoF). Also, be at least 7-8 feet away, if not 10 feet or more. If you get too close, the DoF might not get everyone in focus that you want in focus. Also, shoot more towards the wide angle end of the zoom (say 18-25mm, give or take) to also get a larger DoF.

Why Av? That way, you've 'selected' the DoF to ensure everybody is in focus, and let the camera figure out everything else.

Almost forgot...set the White Balance to AWB as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back