Help with shooting in a recording studio

iNick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend is a going to be recording some songs in a nice recording studio on friday, he wants me to take some shots, in the studio of him for promo purposes. the lighting is generally dim and i only have the pop-up flash on my T1i to help me out. any tips or tricks to help me out would be great!

Not unless you have a fast lens, this is from some i took for an engineer, iso3200, F2, 1/60, so it's fast lens high iso and big aperture
474245870_N8pW5-L.jpg

i just have my kit lens

Not using the flash you'll have to do high ISO to get enough shutter speed. Unfortunately, your T1i doesn't have great high ISO performance, but a noisy photo (from high ISO) is better than a blurry photo (from insufficient shutter speed).

You'll likely get better results using the pop up flash, even if the light is somewhat hard and the shadows dense and sharp edged..

If you use the flash in TTL mode, remember the camera is actually really stupid and has no idea what you are taking photographs of.
Using flash adds a level of complexity to using the camera/lens, particularly of you try to use auto or semi-auto modes.
Using the camera and flash in manual modes is actually much simpler, and the results can be much more certain and consistant.

In your T1i users manual you might want to review pages - 45, 62/63, 85, 95, 115, 139/140/141, 187, 192.

i haven't really tested the high iso waters on the T1i yet so well see how it works out. iv'e always been a bit confused on how to use the flash in manual so ill be sure to review those pages. thanks a lot :thumbup:

Shoot at shortest focal length don't zoom then you will have F3.5 start at iso1600 and be prepared to go to 3200, and shoot in raw
Post results

i haven't really tested the high iso waters on the T1i yet so well see how it works out. iv'e always been a bit confused on how to use the flash in manual so ill be sure to review those pages. thanks a lot :thumbup:
Others already have tested the T1i's high ISO.

It doesn't do very good above ISO 400, which is part of the reason they came out with the T2i just 11 months after the T1i , and even the T2i doesn't do very good above ISO 400.

With the kit lens and no flash you'll likely need at least ISO 1600 and maybe even ISO 3200.

Charge your friend and get the 50mm 1.8 for $100. The only other option that is a complete crap shoot, is to try one of those lumiquest diffusers for putting over your on camera flash to tame the harshness of the light.

Just go there, do the best you can and don't worry about it.

If your friend thinks he's going to get some miracle, tell him to hire a pro. My feeling is he can't afford it so none of the above answers are worth sh*t. So long as you guys understand each other, know that you may not deliver much, etc, go shoot and have fun. And hopefully something will come out.

Just go there, do the best you can and don't worry about it.

If your friend thinks he's going to get some miracle, tell him to hire a pro. My feeling is he can't afford it so none of the above answers are worth sh*t. So long as you guys understand each other, know that you may not deliver much, etc, go shoot and have fun. And hopefully something will come out.

it's more for me than for him to be honest lol. i look forward to any opportunity to shoot, especially under different circumstances than im accustomed to so he's not expecting anything great. thanks for all the tips guys!

That's the best way to find out - with no pressure. But please make sure to come back and show/tell us how it went!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back