Help with team pictures, please

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to take a picture of my daughter's softball team tomorrow. The girls are going to meet for their first game at 11:00, so that's when I'll take it. What would be the best settings for this (focus mode and metering)? I'm not sure what the lighting will be like or if there will be any shade. I will have my tripod.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! :mrgreen:

Thank you!!

Well, i would use the 50 mm lens you have,get a good angle. if its enough light, then an aperture of around 10 and a shutter speed of around 1/60, ISO 100.

I used to do a lot of team shots back when I was shooting film. I always used fill flash to lighten the shadows on the faces from the baseball caps... and it also brings out the colors in the uniforms. I usually aimed for the flash to be about a half to a full stop higher than ambient light, usually lower than usual (height wise) to get their faces. Depending on what lens you will be using... use this to get some ideas on what DOF you will want to set.... Online Depth of Field Calculator. As a general rule.. if you have two row of players.. with 35mm to 50mm FL.. use around F5.6 to F8... at a distance of around 10 to 15 feet. It really depends on how you want to shoot them, the background, the lighting, etc... I hope this helps. If you aren't sure... use a smaller aperture to make sure you have them covered. ISO 100 preferably.. but to 400 if needed...

Thank you for the info! Does it matter what metering mode I use?

Yes, very much. For a shot like this (assuming that you are not using off-camera flash), then use matrix metering to get the widest-possible reading.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back