Help with transferring stand alone LR/Files to new computer

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up an iMac and want to transfer my Lightroom and LR files from my Macbook pro. So I wanted to see if someone can give me some idiot proof direction in order to help make this happen :) Also, my original stand alone LR disc is lost in storage and I can't find my serial number. I'm really not interested in the creative cloud at this time and would prefer to use my existing LR license. Does anyone know if there is a way to find it on LR it's self? I tried looking it up in my Adobe account but it does not show I have lightroom, only CS6?

Thanks for any and all help,
UR

As far as moving, you should be able to copy the catalog to the new machine and open it with LR. If your images are on the MBP then you'll obviously have to copy them over as well. Once you do re-link the images to their new location. Right-click on the folder and choose Find Missing Folder from the context-sensitive menu then navigate to the new location. I can't help you with the serial.

Thanks.

Copied the catalog and moved it over. Just need to figure out how to get LR, not a fan of the creative cloud.

The last 4 are masked on mine.

The last 4 are masked on mine.

Same with mine. What gives?

I'm also confused as to how my CS6 shows up in my Adobe account but not my LR?

I had that happen too and I contacted Adobe from that web page and they were able to get me the serial number as they did have the record of me buying it.

And after I moved my photo's on to the new hard drive I did an Import back into LR and didn't have any issues with LR giving ? marks on the folders in the Catalog.

I also looked at the registration and the entire serial is masked. I'd call them like Bill suggested. Computers are whacky.

Sounds like calling them is probably the best bet.

So can you still use a stand alone LR copy?

Isn't the software licence for one machine? I was under the imression that with stand alone software you should buy a new copy if you get a new machine.

You be able to move a license to a new machine as long as it's removed from the other machine.

I installed on my iMac and my Macbook pro, same copy.

From my memory, you can have it on 2 maybe 3 computers as long as you aren't using it at the same time. Check the EULA

From Adobe:

"If you own, or are the primary user of, a single-user or volume license Adobe product that is installed on a computer at work, you can also install and use the software on one secondary computer of the same platform at home or on a portable computer. However, you may not run the software simultaneously on both the primary and secondary computers.

No more than one user can use a single-user license Adobe product."

About the last 4 digits being masked...I don't know why Adobe does that, makes no sense. But you can get the full serial number by going to c:/ProgramData/Adobe/Lightroom and look for a file named "Lightroom 5.0 Registration" (or whatever version of LR you have). File type is LRREG. If you double click on the file it may not open directly, but if you tell your computer to open it using Notepad, it will open and you will see the full registration number.

Most reactions

Back