Help with using a Nikon F to Micro 4/3 Lens Adaptor

Centropolis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a cheap ebay Nikon F to Micro 4/3 lens adaptor for my E-PL2. This is the first time I am using an adaptor and I need some newbie instructions.

I understand that I will need to manual focus. I have one of those adaptors that has an aperture control ring. Of course I wouldn’t know what the f-stop value is but I can control it.

Can someone tell me the steps that I would need to take a picture with this setup? I am going to mount a 50mm Nikkor f/1.8D on it and attach it to my E-PL2.

I’ve read a few things so far but they don’t seem to jive. I have open up the aperture to the largest, manual focus, then close down the aperture using the aperture ring on the adaptor, then would the camera automatically meter to whatever the aperture I set it to? How would my camera meter if it doesn’t know what aperture I am at?

Removed FUD statements that were inaccurate. My Bad and apologize for sloppy thinking on my part.

Last edited:
Thanks Orb. I think the harder part for me is to learn how to manual focus without a viewfinder. There is like a zoom-in feature on the E-PL2 but I find it funny to use and hard to tell from the screen. I guess I just need to practice more and more.

I do not use any Nikon lenses on my M4/3 cameras but many others. Set the camera in "A" mode use your adapter to set the DOF you want, your camera should give enough gain on the display to focus. The camera will automatically set a shutter speed for you, if it is too low, up the ISO.

You might consider joining a M4/3 forum like this one:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1041

Last edited:
The adapters are dumb adapters with no additional connections for metering.
To meter is called "Guessimating" :er:

Not true.

Adapted lenses on micro 43 lenses will meter properly just as long as the lens is stopped down. Its pretty much the same no matter what legacy lens is being adapted.

Another good forum... Mu-43.com - Micro Four Thirds News and Rumors

Ok my bad must have remembered wrongly and apologize as must have gotten entry level nikons with pre-Ai lens procedure mixed up with 4/3rds which I never shot with adapter before. Just regular lenses on a G1 and forgotten about what I read about adapters use.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Kundalini, I have no clue about the nikon adapter specifically but I can vouch for the ebay seller as a cheap alternative supplier for micro 43 adapters. In have two M mount, two K mount, and 3 M42 screwmount adapters from them. There are better quality adapters out there (i have some from Novoflex. Others liked metabones) but the ones from rainbowimaging have been more than adequate.

Shipping was quick and they did correct one mistaken order rather quickly.

That's good to know usayit. Gary from mu43 (some may remember him from here as Seefutlung) seemed to give a thumbs up for rainbowimaging as well. Although I intend to stay native with the m43 lenses, I think for $30 it might be worth a giggle to see my 300mm lens suddenly turn into a 600mm lens. :lol:

Adapting lenses can be fun in of itself... especially with the loads of available legacy glass out there for very little $$$. One thing for sure... you'll know a good lens from a bad one really quick. Crop sensor + dense photosites will bring out the best (and worst) out of a lens.

I have a 500mm Takumar that does very well on the E-PL1 as a 1000mm FOV lens. Its a bit "front heavy" LOL.

Ps. Didn't know that Gary == Seefutlung.... interesting.

Most reactions

Back