Help with wide-format photo printer

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking to outfit a small trailer to be a mobile studio and looking for a good printer to put in it.. I don't like printing out photos at home, because of the 1. Cost, 1. Quality, and ... how can you beat Costco @ $2.99 for a quality 11X14?? Anyway, this project would call for printing out photos all during the day and I'd want the option to do 11X14 as well as the normal smaller pictures.. Dont' want to spend a fortune, and not sure what's out there today in the market that would suffice... Any help?

thanks,

r

I use a HP DeskJet 1220C, got it fairly cheaply off ebay and prints nicely up to A3+ - and larger ( will do long prints too if I wanted and had the paper stock ).

how can you beat Costco @ $2.99 for a quality 11X14??
r

Epson R1900 about 600 bucks american but im converting that quickly from CDN

The next real boost in quality from Epson is the 3800 which would run you about 1250-1300 USD.

I personally would only use Epson, canon - meh and HP - BLAH!

EDIT: Buyer Beware! The price of these printers are VERY cheap in comparison to the amount of money you will spend on Ink. The 1900 costs about 120 bucks to fill and the 3800 about 350 bucks.

This can change but a full tank usually translates to about 25-30 eight by tens in the 1900

I also forgot to say that costco prints suck, real hard.

I'm not sure where you're thinking of doing this, but beware, large format printers usually don't like humidity in excess... not at all. And they hate dusty places even more, such as horse shows or dirt bike racing... ;) Our 4800 can attest to this.

Go dye-sub if you can. Much much better for the smaller format up to 8x10, budget allowing of course.

I also forgot to say that costco prints suck, real hard.

Thanks for the heads up on the Epson... I'll check it out.. As far as Costco goes, I have to disagree.. For the 'hobbiest', you can't beat them for a quick print at a good price.. I like the fact that they won't do any color adjustments if you choose not.. Anyway, that's for another thread.. thanks again for the tip .. Epson's a great printer..

r

agreed that for 98% of the population, costco's fine.

But i don't know if I like the paper, and they don't have a very wide gamut.

I get consistently better results with enlargements through an Epson 7800 with the Epson Premium Luster.

Last edited:
And they hate dusty places even more, such as horse shows or dirt bike racing... ;)

Busted ... :lol:

Kinna hard to go "Mobile" and prevent dust, etc... but I'll take that into consideration.... Lotsa printers that would work, but I like the option of offering an 11x14 if presented with the opportunity...

tks,

r

How about a big laptop and a fulfillment site?

You can show the customer what they'll be getting and then have the print mailed to them (they don't have to keep up with it then).

You can collect right on the spot to keep them from having the "on second thought" bug and then have your supplier mail the print straight to them. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back