Help......!!!

I do understand what you are saying but you missed this part

Additionally there are a few PM's on that forum you could not have known about where he was asking advice from me. I hinted at them with the silhouette but did not come out and say it, never the less he does by some outward appearence want the advice in some capasity. Despite that I nearly walked away from it all together for the reason that new photos in the first post thing that Overread outlined.

I also teach professionally. From the little that you have shown of the situation, even when someone says "the way you say something pisses me off, but please continue"... this is rarely an invitation to continue nor that they are ready to accept anything you say as being anything of great value to them.

To me that means "say what you have to fast, becuase you are wasting my time and in the end I do not really care that much to hear what you have to say". In other words, it is a polite dismissal.

He is not ready to listen to you irrespective of if he even asked you questions for the simple reason that you did not give him the answers HE wanted.

Comes from dealing with Mr. KnowItAlls and closed people, something that exists fairly often in the information technology world and outside. I see it often.

If you try to fill a glass that is already filled with sour milk, with cream... the cream has no room in the glass. You must empty the glass of the sour milk, before you can fill it with something better. Rough translation of old Czech proverb.

battou

it is very difficult to teach a loved one anything :)

But, but ...I gots to, it could be that stickey stuffs that holds us together :blushing:

also teenage brains are not fully developed so it just isn't you. He would be acting this way with anyone who tried to help him.
I know this...All too well actually, but I don't normally let it stop me.

sounds like you have made a good decision to move away from the situation

Wile I apprieciate the compliment I must decline it as I did not exactly move away from it but.... What I ment by "wriggle out of it" was I got him to calm down and reply in an appropriate manor and I am awaiting his reply to it before deciding if I am going to continue or not.
I also teach professionally. From the little that you have shown of the situation, even when someone says "the way you say something pisses me off, but please continue"... this is rarely an invitation to continue nor that they are ready to accept anything you say as being anything of great value to them.

To me that means "say what you have to fast, becuase you are wasting my time and in the end I do not really care that much to hear what you have to say". In other words, it is a polite dismissal.

He is not ready to listen to you irrespective of if he even asked you questions for the simple reason that you did not give him the answers HE wanted.

Comes from dealing with Mr. KnowItAlls and closed people, something that exists fairly often in the information technology world and outside. I see it often.

If you try to fill a glass that is already filled with sour milk, with cream... the cream has no room in the glass. You must empty the glass of the sour milk, before you can fill it with something better. Rough translation of old Czech proverb.

His smart assed retort in an attempt to dodge my question only confirms your statement. Truth be told I did see what you are saying, I just did not want to comply to it....Perhaps it's just my experience, but for me it's always been to get one to follow one has to stay on and not let it throw you.

I dunno, pending what he has to say, if anything, to the last bit of advice, it might just be time to quit wasting my time. I guess I'll see.

battou, i have a quick question now that you brought it up. if the camera is in face capable of autofocusing at night (it manages to find something to lock onto) why not use it?

If you really want to be a photographer, you need to look at your camera as a tool. You are the photographer and you make the decitions. Now, that is not to say AF in low light can not be done, if you have and can focus with your choice of any of the AF points at your disposal I suppose you could try, but it is best to just avoid the situation if at all possible. If you don't have a choice over what AF focuses on and the camera "manages to find something to lock onto" one is essentially allowing the camera to choose what it focuses on.

The swordsmith does not allow the hammer to decide how many folds the sword will have, the police officer does not let the cruser decide who to persue, The butcher does not let the cleaver decide what peice of meat to cut. Why should the photographer allow the camera to decide what to photograph?

He's 18. Enough said. You will never be right.

His photos are nice in my beginner's eyes and he must get a lot of compliments from friends and family. He was probably just posting to get the "wow's" and not really the critiques. He'll learn gradually, especially if he ever goes pro and tries to sell his photos. Then he'll start paying attention!

However, I am learning by reading your critiques, so don't be frustrated by his response, you're still being extremely helpful!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back