help!!!!!

invncblsonic143

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my photos are looking great on the camera lcd display and then when i put them on the monitor they look so grainy alot of them almost look blurry....what am i doing wrong?

It's called image noise, not grain.

How much image noise there is varies by ISO setting and exposure accuracy. Under exposure makes image noise more readily visible.

What camera? What shooting mode? What ISO value?

Its a canon rebel xti amd it seems to be happening with any iso on manual mode but it os metering at the correct exposure ....

I have a saying,and it goes like this: "I am the World's Greatest Photographer on the LCD screen. On the computer...not so much!"

Learn to interpret histograms.

When you guys say "exif" what does that mean!?!?!?!? Lol sorry im a noob!!!!! But thats why im hear haha

The most important data you need to either look up (in digital photography the camera is recording it for you) or put down in a note book (refers more to manually controlled film photography) is: ISO, f-stop (how widely open is the aperture in your lens?), shutter speed and focal length.

So you may have taken a photo at 35mm (focal length), at ISO 200, f 8.0 and 1/125sec. Which, in case you focused well, ought to be sharp even on your computer screen, i.e. when you see the LARGE version of your picture (in the tiny screen of your camera almost every photo looks just about "good", since it is sooo small, all that went wrong cannot be seen that size).

When you guys say "exif" what does that mean!?!?!?!? Lol sorry im a noob!!!!! But thats why im hear haha

Digital cameras record more than just the image itself. It records shutter speed, ISO, focal length of lens, aperture, date, time, exposure mode, camera make & model. A sample would be:

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Image Date: 2011-06-26 12:42:16 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 28.0mm (35mm equivalent: 42mm)
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: Ken DePue
Copyright: 2011 Imagination Images of Iowa
Comment: www.imaginationimagesofiowa.com

EXIF is an acronym for Exchangeable Information File. Sometimes refered to as metadata.

Back in the film-only days, serious & pro photogs would carry a notepad & pencil to manually write down this information so they could critique their own images. This is simply the modern, digital way of achieving the same thing. There are plenty of freeware EXIF readers out there, as well as a few EXIF editors that allow you to change & add to the data. I read the data with a simple Firefox add-on that can display the information with a right-click.

If you have software that is capable of reading the information, your screen will show something like these:

ExifSample.jpg

ExifSample2.jpg

Last edited:
The free photo software "Irfanview" will give you the exif info.Click on Image/Info.Ron G

Digital photo never come tack sharp off the camera. They have to be nursed in post processing.

Most reactions

Back