Help!

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well this was a picture that really didn't come out how I wanted it to! I'm after a lot of detail on the black 'drops' but I can't seem to get it somehow, anyone got any ideas on how I could? Here's the EXIF if it's any help CAMERA: Canon (Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL) | ISO SETTING: 100 | EXPOSURE TIME: 2.5s | APERTURE: 29.0 | FOCAL LENGTH: 190.0mm

Plastic%20Melting.jpg

As always, thanks for looking :wink:

I have no editing advice, I just wanted to tell you that I think it looks really great as it is :D

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the composition but I just want more detail out of the bits of melted plastic and have no idea how to do it :(

I would suggest shooting between f8 and f11. That is usually the sharpest range of the lens. Why did you close it down to f29? It seems like the drops are almost parallel to the lens wich means your focal range don't need to be that great to get everything in focus.

Well I took it at f29 because I'm an ametuer and I thought that if I let as little light in as possible I could have the shutter open for longer andtherfore get more detail! I take it that I've got a misunderstanding of the basics here! I'll try shooting it again tonight with f8-11, thanks for the feedback.

love the winking cow avatar, took me a while to work out why my attention was being distracted by it!

magicmonkey said:
Well I took it at f29 because I'm an ametuer and I thought that if I let as little light in as possible I could have the shutter open for longer andtherfore get more detail! I take it that I've got a misunderstanding of the basics here! I'll try shooting it again tonight with f8-11, thanks for the feedback.

love the winking cow avatar, took me a while to work out why my attention was being distracted by it!

It's a really cool shot as it is, but as has been mentioned, the sharpest part of a lens is a couple of stops down from wide open. However, if you need everything in focus, then f8 is a pretty useful stop (I find!)

Good image though - really like it.

Rob

Thanks for the input guys, I've reshot and they came out a lot better. I've now got three shots I'm really happy with and some really useful knowledge. I'll post the results in the general gallery at some point tonight...

Most reactions

Back