Here's a gig for you

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Only you Derrel!! lol Interesting project, I'd do it! Oh yeah, then I'd have to get a camera and learn how to do 4x5... I'll just enjoy reading it and looking at the pictures, thanks Mike for posting.

OK you take the south, I'll get the Midwest! lol

Don't still have the old 4X5 Speed Graphic but I do have a 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Speed Graphic complete kit in the hard case if someone needs gear to take on the challenge.

If I wasn't getting an internal server error every time I click it, I'd.. probably realize I have no idea how to use a 4x5 camera and cry in a corner.

The 4X5 Speed Graphic is a sheet film camera. In the darkroom you take 2 4"X5" sheets of film and place them in a holder. You stick the holder in the back of the camera facing one way or the other. When you're ready to take the picture you pull out the metal plate covering one sheet of film, take the picture and then REMEMBER to push the plate back in. Then pull out the holder and flip it over and put it back in and now you're ready for the second shot.
It will make you a VERY CAREFUL photographer. The amount of effort for each shot is significant. The flash is a pain also since each shot is a glass bulb that must be put in the flash gun - then it's consumed in the flash and removed and thrown out. One for each shot.
To take 20 photos you need 10 holders and 20 bulbs - a big and heavy box full of stuff. The box the a camera is sitting on in the shot below holds enough stuff for about 20 pictures. Ignore the kid(me) I was still learning photography at the time
So "minicoop 1985" now you know how to use a 4X5 Speed Graphic camera.
$Early-Denny.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back