Here's my try to this forum

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope I have read all the rules concerning this new forum.

I have a final work that I would like to be critiqued. Have at it.

636511088_768a26a1ec_o.jpg

The first thing my eyes are draw to is your [FONT=&quot]reflection [/FONT]in the child’s eye, IMO that hurts the image

It's an interesting shot, but I feel it could benefit from either tighter cropping yet, to remove the distracting white bits on the edges, or a looser crop. The main distracting element for me however, is the dullness of the shot. I think another stop of exposure would help. The facial expression is full of vibrancy, but the dull, lifeless grey tone doesn't support it.

It's an interesting shot, but I feel it could benefit from either tighter cropping yet, to remove the distracting white bits on the edges, or a looser crop. The main distracting element for me however, is the dullness of the shot. I think another stop of exposure would help. The facial expression is full of vibrancy, but the dull, lifeless grey tone doesn't support it.

Thanks Matt. This was very tightly cropped. I mulled over the crop for quite sometime. I was wondering if I had gone to far but it looks like I haven't yet. I liked the exposure, but now that you said something, I would agree it needs a little lightening.

Thanks Smith. That's what I'm thinking he meant but was not for sure. Would anybody have any tips of shooting this type of shoot without getting my reflection in persons eyes. It would seem to me that the shape of the eye would make it almost impossible to NOT have my reflection in the person's eyes. I guess instead of shooting this at 17mm, a greater focal length would have diminished the size of my reflection, but I like the look of the picture at 17mm.

Any tips?

One thing that would have helped not only hide your reflection, but also boost the exposure is to use a large reflector, or white card. The white card will splash some nice light onto the face, and also create a big catch light in the eye, that will hide most of you, and at least downplay your reflection. If you hold it at a 45 degree angle under the camera and close to the subject, you'll get a nice clamshell type lighting feel.

One thing that would have helped not only hide your reflection, but also boost the exposure is to use a large reflector, or white card. The white card will splash some nice light onto the face, and also create a big catch light in the eye, that will hide most of you, and at least downplay your reflection. If you hold it at a 45 degree angle under the camera and close to the subject, you'll get a nice clamshell type lighting feel.

As it was a spur of the moment shot, I didn't think about that (actually I never think about reflectors because I mainly shoot storms and a reflector would do nothing). Thank you bringing that to my attention. If I ever get into portraiture (sp?) work I'll try to keep that in mind. I'll give that a try when I have more freedom to do what I want with the subject.

I've taken into concideration the comments and I hopefully have improved the problem areas. In doing so, I hope I haven't created more.

639700909_2ec083816f_o.jpg

The original is flat/underexposed, and there's too much forehead, which looks alien-esque. Ditto the alien thing with the reposted correction because the eyes are too dark and glossy, and the quality seems to lean more towards noise than grain.

This is refreshing. Thanks guys. I like being torn apart so that I can better my photography.

one more suggestion. Try handcoloring this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back