Here's one from today

Jilson324

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out and played with my camera today, and only came back with one picture that I'm still hardly satisfied with. Opinions and advice please.

EDIT: Made a few changes to the picture, here it is.
6882073965_6cb2a19c50_b.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a bad image, with some leading lines and interesting detail. You've got the depth of field you need. This seems to me to be a dark (emotionally) image, so what I would do is crop the light part of the sky at the top, removing almost 2/3 of the sky, and turning it into a sort of panoramic. Then it would have the impact it should have.

Thanks for the feedback Ken, I appreciate it. As for the other 143 of you to came and looked and couldn't say two words, I hope your pets pee on your cameras and equipment.

Thanks for the feedback Ken, I appreciate it. As for the other 143 of you to came and looked and couldn't say two words, I hope your pets pee on your cameras and equipment.

LOL!

I feel like the bottom 1/3 of the image is very weak. The top 2/3 has a common blue color with a hint of contrasting orange.... it flows well, but the bottom is brown and scraggly looking. I see that you are using the log as a leading line of sorts but IMO coming from the corner with a landscape crop is ineffective because it takes up so little of the frame. The texture of the log seems to have a beautiful smooth finish to it and I think it deserves to be much larger in the frame.

I probably would have gotten a wide angle, portrait crop and put the camera almost right over the log and have the 3 lone piers frame-left, frame-center, and frame-right, symmetric. Just something to consider.

I like that tree washed up on the beach. I would have got down closer to it and got part of it in focus for the shot too instead of the eye level shot you have going here. But that is relly more of an artistic comment then a tech issue. Technically your shot looks okay and balanced. I still think you could have got a more interesting shot utilizing the scenery more.

Whoa fella!!! :thumbdown: You have to realize that not everyone will comment on your posted images - for a variety of reasons. A lot of folks who look at an image may not feel they are qualified to comment, for what ever reason - yup 143 people may feel that way. Some may look at it and decide that they have nothing to say, again, for whatever reason, but when you flame viewers like you have with inappropriate comments such as this, you do yourself almost irreparable damage, I mean think about it...who is going to bother to comment on any of your postings in the future if this is your attitude to those who simply look and choose not to comment.

My first impressions:

1. You have the horizon almost in the middle - this is usually a no-no, except, maybe, in the case of reflections in lakes and ponds - check the rule of thirds. Overall the composition is not too bad, the diagonal lines lead the viewers eye into the centre of the image, but then the horizon in the middle breaks the image in half and the viewer is left wondering which part of the image is the more important one - the top or the bottom. Depending on which part is of interest to you, I would crop the the top or bottom, unfortunately, if you do crop the bottom, you lose a lot of the foreground.

2. I would clone out the three posts in the foreground, they are distracting and detract from the image - in my opinion.

3. The sky on the left is underexposed and could possibly be selectively lightened and/or processed to bring out the detail in most editing software. This will work, unless you have it so underexposed that there is no detail left in the darker areas. I also think that the clouds look too blue, but that may be a result of the compression that you can get on the web from reducing ther image size for posting - it could also be a colour space problem - not sure. Are you editing on a calibrated monitor?

My 0.02¢ FWIW.

WesternGuy

Damn, I didn't even think about getting a close shot with the log haha. I did take a few portrait style photos so I'll go back and look through what I have. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Edit: I don't think my comment was too bad, just a simple expression of myself being impatient haha. Thank you for the feedback though, and no I haven't calibrated my monitor yet... I should probably get on that ASAP haha.

Last edited:

I hope you were joking when you said that. LOL

For me, I like the picture, but I wish those poles weren't there in the sea. Are those for fishing nets or something?

Yes I was joking haha, but thank you though. And I'm not sure what the poles are for. My hypothesis is that they had a net to keep patients from swimming out too far? The place where I took this is an abandoned sanitarium that had a few different uses over the years so I'm not sure.

Cool. Another possible shot that comes to mind is that you could shoot the tip of the log in portrait mode (or similar setting) with the sea in the background out of focus. Probably during a sunset/sunrise. That would make a great shot as well. :) not sure if I'm being clear.

Yeah I understand what you mean. This place is right down the street from my house, so I'm sure I'll be heading back soon.
Here it is with a few changes I made.
6882073965_6cb2a19c50_b.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back