Hey all

monty mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just signed up, have been looking round and enjoying the photos. I hope to get myself a Digital SLR (maybe a Canons EOS 2D) for Christmas and start learning. Then contributing.

Any advice on purchasing my first camera is welcome :D

Um. That's kinda a vague, not to mention loaded, question. There are about 8 billion threads on here with that topic (some of them are from me, many moons agao). If you can ask something a little more specific, or at least give a little more background, then I'm sure someone can help you out.

I'd say to consider the main type of photography you want to do and then think of the critical features for that type of photography (landscapes, portraits, etc.). That should also point you towards a good lens which is probably more important.

Something else to consider is what brand to get. I'll let others argue which is the best but you do need to realize that lenses are interchangable throughout different systems (Nikon lenses won't work on Canon bodies, etc.) so keep in mind when purchasing that you are making somewhat of a commitment to that brand / system. People will argue for whatever brand of camera they favor but IMO once you get into the dSLR range your pics will have the potential to look good regardless of the camera. If you are concerned about brand you might want to research the lens catelog for each. I'd say it's safe to say Nikon and Canon are the big boys.

He wants to start learning.

Pick up an old film SLR and some Tmax400 film.

EDIT: But if you must have digital, I recommend the Nikon D50.

monty mike said:
Ok, to be more specific, I am interested in Landscapes.

Then maybe you do need a full frame Canon. Price range?

JEazy said:
Then maybe you do need a full frame Canon. Price range?
Well today I was recommended a Cannon EOS 400D which was £600. I could budget something like that, but seriously no more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back