Hey everyonee!

tofulover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My name is Krystal. I've taken a photography course last and I loved it since then. I've recently gotten serious about it after dropping my last major (culinary arts). Mainly here to learn as much as I possibly can from everyone! Speaking of which, anyone recommend a camera for a beginner switching from a Canon AE-1 to any DSLR? Love my film camera but of course, still need to keep up with the modern world. Thanks a lot!

Hi Krystal, welcome aboard. Stay with Canon, if you liked the AE-1, something like the XTi or better yet, the 5D if you can afford it.

Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately, the lenses that fit the AE-1 are not compatible with modern cameras so you will need to start from scratch...but there are plenty of good options for DSLR cameras.

If you give us a budget, we can make more specific recommendations.

My last film camera was an AE-1 and I still have it, with all the old attachments and lenses. You can still have fun with it, but I'll warn you, once you start with digital, the old film camera will be likely to be saved for fun and special uses.

You can get a 6mp 10D for a very reasonable price and they take very good photos. Don't be fooled by the pixel wars, if you are just getting started and have a limited budget. The same lenses from the 10D will fit on a newer camera, when you decide to update.

20D and 30D you start getting more features and bigger viewing screens on the back, more pixels. For a good basic starter camera, you can find one of the above three, with a lens, for a good price.

Get a DSLR and you'll be happy.

Here's a good link that shows why an "old" CPS 1.6 crop sensor is still bigger and better than most of the compact cameras with more pixels.

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

Thanks Mitica100- I've noticed the XTI and definitely thinking about that one.

Big Mike- My max budget would be 600/700. I'm not looking for anything fancy at all.

RacePhoto- Thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to refer to it and your comment as I get closer to choosing a camera.

[:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back