Hey from PA!

randys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! I'm from PA, about 50 minutes west of Philadelphia.

My main job is web design, programming and graphic work. I used to do 3D work. I have been an amatuer photographer for about 17 years when I got my Minolta 5000i.

After 4 point and shoot (My Fujifilm had lots of capabilities), I got a Canon XSi with:

Canon 24mm 2.8
Canon Zoom 70-300mm
Canon 18-55mm
430 EX Speed Light

I;ve read so much about the "thrifty fifty" that I was considering it for some portraits.

I do a lot of photo editing and to make a long story short I was invited to visit someone next August to do some photo shoots. Editing portraits is different from shooting them! Unlike the photographers she work with who typically use 5D Mark II I don't have a full size sensor. and I'm not sure if my equipment will fit the bill. I hope to hear from some pros and semi pros who may use this camera to get some insight.

Thanks!

Randy

Welcome to TPF Randy! So you have until next August? Well there is plenty of info to help you out on the forums. Is she expecting pro shots? I have a 'thrifty fifty' as you call it, I have always heard 'nifty fifty' :) and i absolutely love it. I have heard good things about an 85mm primes lens being a good portrait lens. I wont go in to a bunch of detail here in the intro section but check out some of the other sections for great info.

I guess for as good a lens as it is being nifty at that price would make it thrifty too!

She knows that I am not new to photography. She knows photography is what I would like to do when I stop working my regular job. I haven't worked with models per se and I've never done studio work. We never spoke of equipment. I was wondering who if any has done professional work with a XSi or something similar...a camera without a full sized sensor.

While I am not a professional, I have never had any complaints with my crop sensor. I am never wishing I went full frame, yet anyway. I think there are more important factors that will help you achieve better photos before you need to worry about full frame. About the lens...I would suggest getting it anyway. For the price and quality they are definitely worth it.

Thanks. I guess I'm more concerned about perception than what i can really do. A Stradivarius in the hands of someone who can't play it will sound like a cat fight but even an average violin in the hands of a someone who knows how to play can sing. I'll let my work speak for me for better or worse. ))

Randy

Most reactions

Back