Hey, I am Joshie. :D

Welcome to TPF - unofficial of course.
This is an active place with a culture all its own and the following ideas, hints should help you get acclimated quickly.

• Do not put pictures in the Beginners Forum or the equipment forums, expecting comments or critique (c/c). Those forums are for questions and discussion. First make an effort to find the answer on your own. Read the manual for your camera. Browse the forums for similar threads. Actually search the Internet. We are not your mommy and it gets tiring to hear the same question over and over. It is evidence that you haven't done any work yet.
  • Pictures for critique should go in one of the appropriately themed forums. There is a very nice illustrated sticky on the mechanics of posting pictures at the top of the Beginner's Forum. If you don't want critique, make that really clear and post in the Just for Fun forum.
  • Don't expect that people will go off-site to look at your gallery elsewhere. Pictures and comments posted here are a benefit to everyone and this site isn't here to boost your own site.
  • Post only 1,2 or 3 pictures in any thread and number them. More than that and people can't really give detailed comments and the help you get will be minimal.
  • Post large pictures, up to 1200 wide and 800 high but when you resize put the quality at about 60. There is no reason to have a higher quality on the web, it doesn't make the picture better, just the file larger.
  • On the other hand, don't post small pictures and expect helpful response, there is no way to look at pictures that are 400 pixels high and see enough detail or color to be helpful.
  • If you have pictures that are very similar, post the best one and tell a little about what you think of its faults or its problems. That gives viewers a place a start with their comments.
  • If your post attracts comments, read them and, if they make sense, use them. Getting defensive or angry at language or attitude isn't useful. The Internet is a lousy tool to express nuance and you may be misreading what is said. There are some number of grumpy people here and they are tolerated because they make the rest of us look good. If you think you are being mistreated, call the offending message(s) to the attention of the mods.
  • Even if you don't know anything about pictures, look at lots of them and try to figure out what it is that makes them good/bad in your opinion. Then read the other comments. That's the best training there is.
  • If you do comment, be constructive. Even if you don't know the 'correct' terminology tell them why you like or dislike the picture. (for example: I really like the way the face is in focus and the background is blurred. or 'The colors are too blurry for my taste.') Negative or positive comments unaccompanied by explanation aren't very much use to someone learning.

Welcome to TPF - unofficial of course.
This is an active place with a culture all its own and the following ideas, hints should help you get acclimated quickly.

• Do not put pictures in the Beginners Forum or the equipment forums, expecting comments or critique (c/c). Those forums are for questions and discussion. First make an effort to find the answer on your own. Read the manual for your camera. Browse the forums for similar threads. Actually search the Internet. We are not your mommy and it gets tiring to hear the same question over and over. It is evidence that you haven't done any work yet.
  • Pictures for critique should go in one of the appropriately themed forums. There is a very nice illustrated sticky on the mechanics of posting pictures at the top of the Beginner's Forum. If you don't want critique, make that really clear and post in the Just for Fun forum.
  • Don't expect that people will go off-site to look at your gallery elsewhere. Pictures and comments posted here are a benefit to everyone and this site isn't here to boost your own site.
  • Post only 1,2 or 3 pictures in any thread and number them. More than that and people can't really give detailed comments and the help you get will be minimal.
  • Post large pictures, up to 1200 wide and 800 high but when you resize put the quality at about 60. There is no reason to have a higher quality on the web, it doesn't make the picture better, just the file larger.
  • On the other hand, don't post small pictures and expect helpful response, there is no way to look at pictures that are 400 pixels high and see enough detail or color to be helpful.
  • If you have pictures that are very similar, post the best one and tell a little about what you think of its faults or its problems. That gives viewers a place a start with their comments.
  • If your post attracts comments, read them and, if they make sense, use them. Getting defensive or angry at language or attitude isn't useful. The Internet is a lousy tool to express nuance and you may be misreading what is said. There are some number of grumpy people here and they are tolerated because they make the rest of us look good. If you think you are being mistreated, call the offending message(s) to the attention of the mods.
  • Even if you don't know anything about pictures, look at lots of them and try to figure out what it is that makes them good/bad in your opinion. Then read the other comments. That's the best training there is.
  • If you do comment, be constructive. Even if you don't know the 'correct' terminology tell them why you like or dislike the picture. (for example: I really like the way the face is in focus and the background is blurred. or 'The colors are too blurry for my taste.') Negative or positive comments unaccompanied by explanation aren't very much use to someone learning.

My question, a easy question. Do you know the purpose of forum? :)

Thanks.

My question, a easy question. Do you know the purpose of forum? :)

Thanks.

I don't know what you mean.

It's all good. Just the way it is wrote in unofficial rule sounds like it's not for forum but for a informal website, or more so blogging website. Because if we cannot post something that has already been posted, then it shouldn't be a forum as it should be informal website where it is filled with many of information. It kind of caught me off guard a bit here, I apologize.

This is a complicated place with lots of people at different levels of a very difficult process (photography).
Actually knowing how the place works and how one should work to get the most out of it will minimize wasted efforts on everyone's part.

No need to apologize.

Most reactions

Back