Hey!

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I have just started toying with photography and I find it a lot of fun. I find that I bring my camera with me almost everywhere I go. I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS that I bought off a friend that I have been using, but soon hope to buy something better (DSLR), or maybe get a film camera off the same friend.

I have a couple questions as I am just starting out
- Is it worth shooting in film if you don't have a darkroom? (I maybe able to get to one, if I am lucky, at my school)
- Is there an easy way to develop your own photos?
- What would be a good book to learn from? Is there like an essential beginners book that everyone should read?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone help me out?

is a Nikon D40 and good beginner DSLR?

Welcome to the forum.

Can can easily shoot film if you don't have a darkroom. Regular (color negative) film is still pretty common and most labs will develop it for you. You can have the images put onto a CD, so that you can enjoy the benefits of digital editing.

True B&W film is still around, and it's pretty cool stuff. You don't need your own darkroom...but finding a lab to do it for you...is getting harder all the time. If you do have access to one, at school or whatever, then that would be a great advantage. You could even build yourself a darkroom, if you really wanted.

There are many great books, check out your local library and see what you can find. A book that is often recommended to learning the basics is 'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Petersen.

Ok thanks a lot.

I found one of my dad's film camera's (If I look and tell you "guys" the model can you tell me if it is worth giving a shot?)
I will see if I will be able to get access to the darkroom at my school. What does it takes to build/make your own darkroom? Is developing your own film cheaper than getting someplace to do it for you?

I also will check out the library, and see if they have books and "understanding exposure"

btw, I have been on this forum one day and have already learned so much and look forward to learning more!!!

Ok thanks a lot.

I found one of my dad's film camera's (If I look and tell you "guys" the model can you tell me if it is worth giving a shot?)

By all means...

I will see if I will be able to get access to the darkroom at my school. What does it takes to build/make your own darkroom? Is developing your own film cheaper than getting someplace to do it for you?

I also will check out the library, and see if they have books and "understanding exposure"

btw, I have been on this forum one day and have already learned so much and look forward to learning more!!!

Meanwhile, welcome aboard!

Ok thanks I will have a look at it tomorrow.

Last question are there any good photography magazines you guys subscribe to?

I just got every photography the library had. they did not have "Understanding Exposure", but are ordering it in for me. Thanks again for the help!

1387665134_e896921311.jpg

Welcome coldow91.

I've just gone digital recently as my film camera gets little use. I bought a D40x and although I'm loving it and still learning how to get the best I wish I'd bought the D80. In the end price was the determining factor otherwise we'd all have D3 and D300s wouldn't we??

haha

yeah thanks, I think I am going to get a d40 or shoot film and my current camera for a while till I get the basics down.

Most reactions

Back