Hi Everyone! Help please

Bowler4life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everybody. My name is Walter. This is my first post here. I love bowling and my new found love is photography. I want to find a way to combine the two but, I'm sure you all know that the lighting in bowling alleys are horrible and using flash during leagues or tournaments is a big no-no. I'm going to try to attach three photos. Could someone critique these photos and help me understand how to make them better. Thanks in Advance. Well I can't attach my images yet I don't know i'll need some help with that too.

Can't see any photos; if you're having difficulty, refer to the pinned thread at the top of this forum for pointers. With respect to photography in bowling alleys, like other indoor shooting, including gyms, dance recitals, etc, this is an area where equipment does make a difference, and generally requires bodies with good high-ISO ability and fast (large max. aperture) lenses. Both of these are expensive - what gear are you using now?

Hmm, better post an image (if it does not have EXIF data ... then tell us the Shutter Speed / Aperture / ISO)
That lens should have been OK with the low light.

You should be able to grab decent shots with an a55 and a 50mm f1.8. Set it to about 1/15 f2 iso 1600 and see what you get then work from there. The lanes are usually lit decently so you should be able to get something okay.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6799559887_af7b962f1c_z.jpg -----Hope this works.

Sorry it took so long to get back, long day. 12 hr. work day, 3 hrs. bowling, shower, eat, family time. I'm trying the upload. This pic was taken with my zoom lens.

F.L. - 120 mm
Iso - 1600
Apeture - f/5.6
Shutter - 1/40sec

Feedback please.

Get yourself a tripod. If you shoot low shutter speeds, you may need one.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6799559887_af7b962f1c_z.jpg -----Hope this works.

Sorry it took so long to get back, long day. 12 hr. work day, 3 hrs. bowling, shower, eat, family time. I'm trying the upload. This pic was taken with my zoom lens.

F.L. - 120 mm
Iso - 1600
Apeture - f/5.6
Shutter - 1/40sec

Feedback please.

This is not an easy shot to capture. Really you would need flash to capture it best which is almost impossible without rigging a crazy set up that you couldnt do unless the people at the alley were cool with you doing this. Setting up a wireless flash in the next lane would be ideal. maybe they would let you do it late one night before they closed.

tripod for sure. at least from the one photo i saw.

on a side note.. i used to bowl. often. my average was 175.

we went out for a family bowling thing the other night... been 10 years since i opened my case...

we bowled 4 games...

i bowled.......... wait for it........ wait for it.......... 55, 76, 110, 116 :lmao: (at least i was getting better as the night went on!! perhaps it was the rum)

Most reactions

Back