Hi Everyone!

MWC2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cynthialinderbeck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some CC on a couple of images.

6047596629_945c704b6f_z.jpg

SS - 1/20 (argh way to slow)
f/5.0
ISO 200
What I don't like - some of her toque is blown and I also cut the top of it off. I have some motion blur on her pointing finger.
What I like - her facial expression, it shows her personality.

6047602697_e8180055f9_z.jpg

SS 1/25 (I'm surprised I don't have any blur, maybe I do and I'm just not seeing it?)
f/5.0
ISO 200
What I don't like - her shoulder is a little high, it looks like she is shrugging. She needs more light in her eyes.
What I like - I think this one might be more of an emtional connection.

Are you using flash?

IMHO, white balance is off in both. Is the white background suppose to be white?

On the 2nd image, it looks like you need more lights on her face especially immediately under the hat. You can tell her nose, lips, and chin are getting more lights.

I didn't use any flash, it's all natural light. The batteries that were in my speedlights have gone missing (I think they found a new home in my son's xbox controllers).

Here's the unedited version of #1, I tried a new PP on these. Not sure if I'm liking it.

6047751995_7b4754ba99_z.jpg

Why did you shoot that slow? Her toque doesn't look blown on my screen. I think these are cute and fun pics. The second shot you need to crop some of the top off. It also looks like you dodged the whites of her eyes to bring back some exposure... but you left her face still a little underexposed.

honestly I have no idea why I shot so slow, we were just playing around and I was surprised by:
1. They actually were cooperating with me and sat for some photos.
2. It wasn't over 110 degrees outside and we were able to go outside (yes these are taken outside).
3. We we laughing and having a good time getting some cute family snapshots.

I did dodge back the white of her eyes, I also did the skin but at a lower occupancy.

I love this picture! I'm a total noob, so take this with a grain of salt, but a faster shutter speed (as you mentioned) and maybe a soft reflector of some sort to very lightly brighten the left side (kid's right side), but that's just a thought.

These were taken outside? They don't look like it, at least to me. Whatever you did, you did a great job getting soft lighting with few shadows. What did you use as a background?

I didn't use any flash, it's all natural light. The batteries that were in my speedlights have gone missing (I think they found a new home in my son's xbox controllers).

Here's the unedited version of #1, I tried a new PP on these. Not sure if I'm liking it.

6047751995_7b4754ba99_z.jpg

You only have 1 set of batteries

Both have dark eyes, particularly because of the hat in #2. You can use white poster board or foamboard placed at an angle under the camera, or slightly camera left to reflect some of the window light into the eyes.

However, some low power, modified, strobed light from camera left would have preserved the subtle shadowing on the right side of their faces while getting some light to their eyes.

Nope, we also don't only have 1 controller for the xbox, Playstation, tv remotes, etc. The extra batteries in the drawer were all gone and I was to lazy to fight with a 15 year old boy and his friends for 4 double AA batteries, so I could "play" photo session with his younger sisters. Pick your battles, he babysits his sisters for free 2 days a week, if he wants to steal/borrow the batteries out of my speedlights for his controllers, then so be it. :)

Nope, we also don't only have 1 controller for the xbox, Playstation, tv remotes, etc. The extra batteries in the drawer were all gone and I was to lazy to fight with a 15 year old boy and his friends for 4 double AA batteries, so I could "play" photo session with his younger sisters. Pick your battles, he babysits his sisters for free 2 days a week, if he wants to steal/borrow the batteries out of my speedlights for his controllers, then so be it. :)

My batteries stay in my camera bag, my partner can't even use them for her toys :sexywink:

thanks everyone.

These were taken outside? They don't look like it, at least to me. Whatever you did, you did a great job getting soft lighting with few shadows. What did you use as a background?

Thanks. We went outside around 7:00 pm, used the house to block the harsh direct sunlight, the background is actually a blank painter's canvas, I had laying around in the garage.

My batteries stay in my camera bag, my partner can't even use them for her toys :sexywink:

ohh I hide THOSE batteries, I don't think it would even cross my son's mind to go and look for those, it might scar him for life. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back