Hi from Canada's Capital

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by groan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. groan

groan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all, I'm Marc from Ottawa

I started shooting back in '82 with my first SLR (I wont count my days with the 126 and 110 film cameras) which was a Nikon FG.
    Since then I migrated to the FE which served me for a LONG time.
    My first AF was the Nikon F-501. This also lasted me a long time.
    I got into shooting portraits and weddings, picked up a Bronica medium format, and also worked at a couple of portrait studios.
    I sold the lot when I found myself just not shooting much. This was shortly after I left my college Photography course for a full-time gig. (Stupid move!!!)

I got into marine fish keeping and wanted to take better shots than my compacts were affording me. I picked up a refurbished Rebel XT and had fun with that for a while. My lust returned. I had to have more.

Enter the D90, 10-20 Sigma etc (see my sig) with the initial intention to shoot real estate.
    Since shooting real estate as a part time gig is difficult to get going i sat on my gear for a while.

Rekindled by a video by Thomas Shahan
    An Introduction to High-Magnification Macro Photography - YouTube
    I decided to pick up a Macro lens and fashion a macro lighting setup and get back into it.
    Also the job I do now (software support) is not fun anymore, wait, make that was ever, and i need a change.

I am hoping to get back into it and work towards shooting part time, initially and then moving full time if money enables me to do so. (Any Canadians out there doing this? Let's chat!) Portraits, estate, collections, etc (please no weddings!)

I'll likely have lots of Q's and offer what knowledge I have on the subjects. I love that this forum is so busy and everyone seems to be cool with new people and noobs alike. The worst forums are the ones that have an elitist crowd that won't give the new guy a chance (have you visited the XDA formus?)

Thanks for having me and I look forward to building my post count for a long time.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome aboard Marc.

Your story sounds familiar. There are many photographers who gave up their film hobby, only to be re energized by the digital revolution.

I'm a part time photographer and photography teacher, and I may someday look to go full time, but I have a good day job that pays the bills, has good benefits and allows me time to peruse photography forums :er:, so I'm in no hurry. Maybe when my kids are in school and my wife goes back to work.

3. TheKenTurner

TheKenTurner No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello! I'm from Ottawa as well!

4. groan

groan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My son's 8 now and he now owns and sometimes even uses my old Rebel XT. I suppose having a job where people aren't hovering over my shoulder is a benefit ;)

5. groan

groan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Representin'!
    We should do an Ottawa/Gatineau photowalk some time! A little advertising on Google Plus wouldn't hurt either.