Hi from hot and sunny Phoenix, AZ!

boredredhead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm Tiffany from Phoenix, where the daytime temps this time of year are, oh, about 110. :wink:
A couple of years ago I bought my husband a Nikon D5000 DSLR but since then he's used it mostly as a point-and-shoot, so this year I decided to learn how it's supposed to work before our summer vacation. I am a complete newbie with basic knowledge of "the big three" so I'm hoping the forum can help me develop into a more polished hobbyist photographer.
BTW--my father was, for a while, a successful professional photographer (1970's, film). When we got this one, I'd never used an SLR. I took it to him and said "show me how to use this". He looked at me like I had three heads. LOL! Little did I know then just how complex photography can be!!!
I'm especially interested in going beyond the standard lens and learning to use macro and tele lenses, as well as tips on buying them.
Hello!

Welcome to the site.

All of that is going to take some time, for sure. I presume that you have the "standard lens", which I must further assume to be the 18mm-55mm.

May I suggest that in the upcoming vacation, you just try to get the pictures seen well and framed well. For me, that would mean using the camera's "auto" features for the most part. Remember; the camera will produce good exposures whether in "green auto", and of the "scene modes" and "A", "S" and "P".

Do you have a speedlight and a tripod? I think these are very useful for vacation pictures, even though many places (museums) will not allow the use of a tripod.

Who knows, this may become your camera by default. (get him a good P&S)

Ah, Phoenix. I have a friend who lives there and have been there several times. You have some absolutely magnificent scenery to play with, the Desert Botanical Gardens is always a good place to practice.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Most reactions

Back