Hi from the Big Apple

_jenniferc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I'm Jen.

I am as beginner as they come. I don't have much (if any) experience in photography outside of taking photos with my iPhone and doctoring them up in Photoshop or Illustrator. I am looking for a new hobby that could possibly evolve into something more and am looking for suggestions on how to get started. Ideally I would like to take portraits or landscapes and from the research I've done it seems a Nikon D5200 would be a good starter camera.

I welcome (and appreciate) any help, advise or suggestions.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum Jen...

You'll get tons of help with all your questions and concerns here. Id say a nikon d5200 would be a perfect beginner camera. I'm a huge fan of nikon!! (I myself have an older one, a D90.) It all depends on how serious you are about photography. If you think it's something you would really get into and enjoy doing you may even want to go with a higher end model of camera like a D7000. That way you wont shell out the money later when your obsessed with photography and want a nicer camera :goodvibe: That's your decision though as that is an extra $350 and I know how tight money can be in the Big City!! (I live in Harlem)

I'd recommend posting some of your images to the beginners board and see how people think you can improve them as well as looking into some photography guides on composition and camera controls if you haven't already. People here are really helpful so this is a great place to hone your skills and learn a lot!!

Welcome to the forum!!

START by pressing that shutter release 500 times a day! Within a week you will have a six-pack set of finger abs!!!! You will be the envy of alllll your friends. People will say,"Have you seen that six-pack of finger abs Jen has developed???" and stuff like that. Then every day, import ALLLLLLL of your shots into Photoshop, and doctor them up!!! BOOM! you will have started the long road to photo hobbyism!!*

Nikon D5200....yes, a nice camera with plenty of capability at a fair price.

*not guaranteed to promote finger abs, belly abs, or anything else-- except a full memory card.

*sore fingers in the finger abdominal region may also occur
*other side effects may include noticing the beauty in the world around you, a compulsion to take pictures of everything you see all the time, and friends calling you that girl who always has her camera with her
*be warned, other artforms and hobbies may fall by the wayside when taking photography to the next level

Thanks!! I was also looking at the d3200 camera (mainly for the cost break). Is there really that big of a difference between the two? From what I've read, it seems the body isn't as important as the type of lenses you have. But, I would hate to regret not getting the more evolved camera down the road.

There are several reviews between the two models, this one being written from the standpoint of upgrading from the D3200 to the D5200.

Nikon D3200 vs D5200 - Should I Upgrade?

So you see there isn't a huge difference, more like several smaller differences.

That being said; the price difference is not insignificant, but if you wish to enhance your equipment right from the start, I would say spend the difference on something useful, such as an upgrade lens or if you can throw in some additional cash, a speedlight. Then your D3200 will enable you to explore the benefits of better glass or off-camera flash.

Designer is right. Now that you bring up glass, the lens really is what its all about. As long as the body is remotely good (which any modern dslr is) the lens is what makes the image quality what it is. Its not like you plan on printing billboard size images right away so body is less of a concern. I think you would be much happier having a variety of good lenses over a nice body and a kit lens.

Welcome to the site.

Jenn, where in westchester are you from? I have family in White Plains.

Most reactions

Back