Hi! I need some serious help!

halcyonclairephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there! I am a photographer and I just shot a jewelry line for a local boutique here in Houston. This was my first time to do this and I realize now that I needed a reflector!! There are way too many shadows and this is making the editing process much more difficult. I've already gone back to re-shoot once before I realized that I needed a reflector. Before I go back for a THIRD time I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on how to get rid of the shadows in photoshop?

I have photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4. I've tried painting the background white in PS and then erasing but it's entirely too tedious since there are so many holes in the jewelry pieces. I've tried zooming in on the jewelry in lightroom and basically painting the background but there are parts where you can tell that it's been edited. I KNOW there's got to be a similar way. PLEASE HELP! I have a deadline to meet.

I tried uploading the un-edited photos and for some reason the uploader won't allow me. Not even the basic uploader. If you'd like to see what it looks like you can email me at [email protected]

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• $002 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    $002 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 220
  • $003 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    $003 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 150
  • $004 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    $004 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 150
  • $005 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    $005 halcyonclairephotography.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
You probably need more than a reflector! How did you light these?

and if you resize to a reasonable size and web compress, you shouldn't have any problem uploading them.

Need to see the shots to make suggestions...

Take some time to learn photography and lighting. The industry will be here when you're ready. Lighting is something you should know if you're offering photography services, especially product photography. There are numerous webinars, books, videos, workshops and classes you can take to master lighting. Mastering lighting will make you a much more successful photographer and you'll be able to wow clients. If you have to get help with pictures on forums, consider how that limits your business and can hurt clients and the industry. I say this not just for advice but because there's no way for us to help you if you don't understand lighting. Fixing lighting in Photoshop takes way too much time and can never replicate what should have been done in camera. If you really need this done, send the images to a retouching lab and pay them to edit them. There are plenty of labs online. It's about $60 an hour for custom retouching.

Last edited:
Hi there! I am a photographer and I just shot a jewelry line for a local boutique here in Houston. This was my first time to do this and I realize now that I needed a reflector!! There are way too many shadows and this is making the editing process much more difficult. I've already gone back to re-shoot once before I realized that I needed a reflector. Before I go back for a THIRD time I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on how to get rid of the shadows in photoshop?

I have photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4. I've tried painting the background white in PS and then erasing but it's entirely too tedious since there are so many holes in the jewelry pieces. I've tried zooming in on the jewelry in lightroom and basically painting the background but there are parts where you can tell that it's been edited. I KNOW there's got to be a similar way. PLEASE HELP! I have a deadline to meet.

I tried uploading the un-edited photos and for some reason the uploader won't allow me. Not even the basic uploader. If you'd like to see what it looks like you can email me at [email protected]

Thank you so much!
Off hand, it sounds like you need to learn masking so that you can replace the background. There are a lot of different ways to mask items and subjects using Photoshop or other standalone software products that work very well. Some methods are VERY easy, but it will depend on what you're up against.

If you can get a photo or two posted that are good examples of what you're up against, we can help you better with it.

Thank you so much for responding! I just uploaded a couple of the pieces to my original post.

I used one light with a sync and a background cube. I just uploaded a couple un-edited images!

Once you've got them masked and isolated, you can just throw a new background with no shadows under them:

Topaz Remask:
49468d1373318912-hi-i-need-some-serious-help-003-halcyonclairephotography2.jpg

Topaz Remask:
49469d1373318913-hi-i-need-some-serious-help-004-halcyonclairephotography2.jpg

Photoshop Select Color Range and Quick Selection Tool:
49470d1373318914-hi-i-need-some-serious-help-005-halcyonclairephotography2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
All 3 of the photos you attached have a distinct color cast.

This one has had the white balance corrected using the White Balance Tool in Camera Raw/Lightroom Develop module.

003halcyonclairephotography.jpg

Most reactions

Back