Hi! I need some serious help!

What the heck is wrong with shadows? Shadows tell us that the thing has shape and isn't just floating in some sort of pink version of outer space.

Your background is folded, spindled, and mutilated, which makes the original shots look kind of rough. It would probably serve you to get in closer to the smaller items, as well. You're going to wind up cropping those to a fairly low resolution picture.

You've also got a problem with highlights and reflections, which I don't know much about fixing but I am given to understand that this is pretty technical stuff, and pretty specific to shooting jewelry. Shooting glass is similar, it's possible that digging up some tutorials or other references on glass will prove helpful.

OK...I will check it out. Thank you!

All 3 of the photos you attached have a distinct color cast.

This one has had the white balance corrected using the White Balance Tool in Camera Raw/Lightroom Develop module.

003halcyonclairephotography.jpg

I appreciate your constructive criticism but like I said this was my first time to do product photography for a jewelry photoshoot. I had worked for this company before doing creative photography and they were in a jam. I came on this site looking for other photographers that would be willing to share their knowledge.

Take some time to learn photography and lighting. The industry will be here when you're ready. Lighting is something you should know if you're offering photography services, especially product photography. There are numerous webinars, books, videos, workshops and classes you can take to master lighting. Mastering lighting will make you a much more successful photographer and you'll be able to wow clients. If you have to get help with pictures on forums, consider how that limits your business and can hurt clients and the industry. I say this not just for advice but because there's no way for us to help you if you don't understand lighting. Fixing lighting in Photoshop takes way too much time and can never replicate what should have been done in camera. If you really need this done, send the images to a retouching lab and pay them to edit them. There are plenty of labs online. It's about $60 an hour for custom retouching.

I appreciate your constructive criticism but like I said this was my first time to do product photography for a jewelry photoshoot. I had worked for this company before doing creative photography and they were in a jam. I came on this site looking for other photographers that would be willing to share their knowledge.

Take some time to learn photography and lighting. The industry will be here when you're ready. Lighting is something you should know if you're offering photography services, especially product photography. There are numerous webinars, books, videos, workshops and classes you can take to master lighting. Mastering lighting will make you a much more successful photographer and you'll be able to wow clients. If you have to get help with pictures on forums, consider how that limits your business and can hurt clients and the industry. I say this not just for advice but because there's no way for us to help you if you don't understand lighting. Fixing lighting in Photoshop takes way too much time and can never replicate what should have been done in camera. If you really need this done, send the images to a retouching lab and pay them to edit them. There are plenty of labs online. It's about $60 an hour for custom retouching.
Some of us are willing to help, so hang in there. Go ahead and ask your questions, and it's likely that someone will be able to contribute some positive feedback for you.

Those who aren't willing to help answer your actual questions and prefer instead to take the opportunity to lecture you or to make disparaging or snooty remarks can be ignored. We even have a button for that, if you need it.

Awesome!! I will use it :) I think that person was taking the opportunity to get a power trip anyways. I downloaded the program by the way and it has really helped with the shadows. The client is pleased! Thank you again :)

Some of us are willing to help, so hang in there. Go ahead and ask your questions, and it's likely that someone will be able to contribute some positive feedback for you.

Those who aren't willing to help answer your actual questions and prefer instead to take the opportunity to lecture you or to make disparaging or snooty remarks can be ignored. We even have a button for that, if you need it.

I agree about the shadows! The client on the other hand does not feel the same way. It's for her website.

What the heck is wrong with shadows? Shadows tell us that the thing has shape and isn't just floating in some sort of pink version of outer space.

Your background is folded, spindled, and mutilated, which makes the original shots look kind of rough. It would probably serve you to get in closer to the smaller items, as well. You're going to wind up cropping those to a fairly low resolution picture.

You've also got a problem with highlights and reflections, which I don't know much about fixing but I am given to understand that this is pretty technical stuff, and pretty specific to shooting jewelry. Shooting glass is similar, it's possible that digging up some tutorials or other references on glass will prove helpful.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Very good book... very helpful for all types of photography, product photography especially...

I'm a book hoarder.. especially instructional books. If only I could stop being so lazy and actually read them! I may have to add this one to the collection.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back