Hi, I'm a professional fashion photographer and I'm new here.

Bartley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

Just signed up and posting for the first time to say hey.

I'm a professional photographer from Birmingham, UK.

Here's a couple of portraits I shot today.

Todays model has only just turned 16 but has already walked London and Milan fashion week so she ain't doing too badly.
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 21.49.35.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 21.49.55.png

Two beautifully taken images Thom, really do like the 2nd one great lighting on the model.

Number two is fine but the flare on number one is that intended.??

A pretty model you have but I find the flare detracts from rather than adding a creative note to the first. In the second I think she could use more illumination and a simpler background, one that doesn't call attention to it's self for it's busyness.

A pretty model you have but I find the flare detracts from rather than adding a creative note to the first. In the second I think she could use more illumination and a simpler background, one that doesn't call attention to it's self for it's busyness.

Thanks for the feedback, I disagree but it's good to hear other's opinions :)

Also to give some context to why I disagree. Good fashion photography (and the kind of fashion photography that brands want and will pay you for) is about more than just the model in the shot. It's about setting a scene, an atmosphere, a certain aesthetic that resonates with a particular audience.

The bleached out sunset / street vibe is currently very popular and sought after. This is why you'll see a lot of pro photographers either leaving their expensive kit at home and shooting film or imitating film in the post processing.

If you look at someone like Comer who is one of the most popular fashion photographers operating out of the UK today you'll see that most of his stuff is deliberately badly lit / shot unconventionally.

If you look at Terry Richardson, one of the most famous fashion photographers of all time you'll see that most of his work is terrible from a technical standpoint.

This is all just style and is what separates high end fashion photographers from your run of the mill Digital Camera Magazine reading guy with a camera. Any muppet with a reflector can "correctly" light a scene but that's super mega ultra boring.

Fashion / portrait photography done the "right" way is both super common and super boring and is absolutely not for me.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Last edited:
I don't mind the flare; I think it would be a great shot without it, but I think it's great with it as well. It's always going to be subjective when it comes to intentional "imperfections" like a lens flare.

There doesn't seem to be much detail in the skin in either of these; I can't tell if it's from the editing, or a soft focus. It doesn't necessarily detract from the shot or the story, but I personally like to see a little more detail in the skin on the face. I also feel like her skin tone is a bit too orange with some hints of magenta, and could look better with some added bronze tones.

All of my critiques are nit-picking at the end of the day, because they're both great shots regardless.

Terry Richardson is just a terrible person all round.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back