Hi I'm new here and have some questions!!

P3 Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have photo-shop 6.0 on my pc(which is 5yrs old+/-). It came with this program. I'm taking a class on photo-shop and we are working with cs4. Would it be worth it to buy cs4? Or should I stick with 6.0 for now since I am quite new to the pro(using this word VERY lightly) photography world! Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Photoshop 6.0 is rather old by today's standards. Version CS5 is just around the corner, making version 6.0, 5 or 6 versions old.

I wouldn't run out and buy CS4, seeing as CS5 will be out soon.
Check to see if your class qualifies you for a student version...it's much cheaper and might even be a cheaper route to a full version when you go pro.

You might even consider Photoshop Elements, it's much less expensive.

I'd also suggest looking into Lightroom. Since I got LR, I find that I use it 80% of the time, and only use Photoshop 20% of the time...when I used to use PS about 99% of the time.
LR is not a replacement for PS...but they work very well in tandem.

If you're registered in a class, you can probably get the academic discount on Photoshop CS4 -- and it's a pretty large discount.

What are you doing in your class? Whereas Lightroom is more for touching up and editing photos, Photoshop is much more powerful, letting you actually create things. If you're planning to just use Photoshop to touch up photos, I'd go with the suggestion to invest in Lightroom and maybe an older version of Photoshop. Photoshop CS5 is coming out and looks to be a huge step up from CS4 in term of functions, so I'd definitely wait until that gets released if you were still thinking about CS4. Of course, all those little tools are extraneous, and CS4 is a perfectly capable piece of software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back