Hi, i'm new here.

Brad V

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi every one,
I don't know if this is the right thread to be post this,
but just to tell what stuff I like to photograph and what camera's I have.
I also need to ask a question which is why I thought i'd post this here.
Well first of all I like aviation photography the best and a lot of other things.
The camera I have right now is a GE 5X which is a P&S and I am thinking of getting a nikon D3000 but first I must ask a question.
Well I was spotting a little while ago and got a pic and many more:
GEDC0519.jpg

It's pretty blurry and not sharp. it was taken with 64ISO and the shutter 1/600
but my camera can go up to 3200 ISO and 1/2000 shutter speed. I'm just wandering if I used a very high ISO and shutter speed would the image still be blurry? thanks.

Welcome! Can't say that this is an area I've explored much, but yes, I think raising your shutter speed might improve things. I assume this aircraft is on short final, so he's probably moving at something in the neighbourhood of 150 MPH - which, if I were shooting a car race at that speed, I would want at least 1/1000 second. I would suggest increasing your ISO to the lowest point which will get you into the 1/1000 - 1/1200 sec range.

Thanks every one :)
Would a nikon D3000 be better for plane pics?
thanks.

Thanks every one :)
Would a nikon D3000 be better for plane pics?
thanks.

Well, it's not quite as simple as changing/upgrading cameras. The pictures in the thread I linked require both some exceptional (i.e., expensive) gear and quite a lot of skill and practice, all coupled with a unique location.

A camera like the D3000 will allow you to use interchangeable lenses, which allows for very good optical quality (and thus image quality) at a wide range of focal lengths. This ability to change lenses is one of the primary areas where SLR cameras differ from P&S cameras and is where the expense can start to add up fast. Just as important is the ability to precisely and easily control all of the parameters that go into image composition (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus point, exposure compensation, etc), although if you don't have a good understanding of how to manipulate these parameters to get the image you want, then the camera won't magically produce better images (there's a bit of a learning curve).

All that said, if you're willing to put the effort into getting the most out of a camera like the D3000, then the answer is likely "yes", it can help you get better pictures of aircraft, and also more generally. If aircraft photography is really your thing, you might be advised to budget for a telephoto zoom lens (55-200mm, 55-300mm are both good starter tele zooms). Also, many will warn you that you may quickly determine that you've hit the limits of the D3000 (it's a beginner-level dSLR) and that you should buy a better camera and more expensive lenses immediately....only you can decide if that's appropriate or feasible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back