Hi, I'm terrible.

So, almost five years have passed since I joined/made this thread. My fiancee is now my wife, finally (We ended up getting married in September of 2013) and I'm still not a good photographer, but that was going to be a given.

Most photo opportunities I want to take are gone before I can even get the camera turned on, let alone ready to go with the lens cap off, etc., or getting the camera app ready to go on my phone even. I'm honestly considering a P&S to just keep at the ready all the time for pet photos and stuff.

I've also been real hesitant to use my XTi much even when I have time to take a shot, after getting it repaired, it just doesn't feel right to me anymore even though it was a simple internal repair.

Anyhow, I was just browsing camera stuff on Amazon and thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm not allowed to buy anything right now, having just bought a new laptop, a Vive, a new Jeep, and a whole bunch of other stuff this year, so the looking is kind of pointless, but I like it.

So, almost five years have passed since I joined/made this thread. My fiancee is now my wife, finally (We ended up getting married in September of 2013) and I'm still not a good photographer, but that was going to be a given.

Most photo opportunities I want to take are gone before I can even get the camera turned on, let alone ready to go with the lens cap off, etc., or getting the camera app ready to go on my phone even. I'm honestly considering a P&S to just keep at the ready all the time for pet photos and stuff.

I've also been real hesitant to use my XTi much even when I have time to take a shot, after getting it repaired, it just doesn't feel right to me anymore even though it was a simple internal repair.

Anyhow, I was just browsing camera stuff on Amazon and thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm not allowed to buy anything right now, having just bought a new laptop, a Vive, a new Jeep, and a whole bunch of other stuff this year, so the looking is kind of pointless, but I like it.

Welcome back :)

I spent 4 years in the 'Burgh for grad school. Good place.

Take a photo of the Jeep and post it. I'm saving for a TJ or JK.

So, is it still a zombie thread if it's revived by the OP? :aiwebs_016::allteeth:

Congrats on the wedding. :1219:

One of the main differences between a "terrible" photographer and a good photographer is time behind the viewfinder.

The problem with that, it that you are reluctant to put that time in because you images turn out crappy, one of those vicious circles things. In order to get higher on the learning curve, in order to get "terrible" in your rearview mirror ... you gotta pick up the camera and shoot (period). If you lack the self discipline, like most of us including moi, to follow an online course, then take a class. Most Community Colleges or Adult Schools or adult schools have classes and they're cheap and they get you out there shooting. And shooting will make you better.

fidUxvx.jpg

One of the main differences between a "terrible" photographer and a good photographer is time behind the viewfinder.

The problem with that, it that you are reluctant to put that time in because you images turn out crappy, one of those vicious circles things. In order to get higher on the learning curve, in order to get "terrible" in your rearview mirror ... you gotta pick up the camera and shoot (period). If you lack the self discipline, like most of us including moi, to follow an online course, then take a class. Most Community Colleges or Adult Schools or adult schools have classes and they're cheap and they get you out there shooting. And shooting will make you better.

Yeah, I've always been my own worst enemy. I'm not in a good spot for taking any sort of classes right now, despite being in the perfect spot for it (I work security now and generally have hours at a time sitting in an office with a laptop and internet and no distractions, I just haven't been focusing on a lot easily)

Welcome back.

One of the things I've found to help is going out to spesifically take some photos. Know where you are going to shoot and what you are likely to encounter and what shots you want to get from it. You'll still miss shots, but the ones you do get you'll be more ready for. But say I'm going on a walk with some friends up a hill and I want to take a camera. I'll probably start with a wide angle to get some approch shots of the hill, if it gets steep say 1/3 of the way in I'd switch to a telephoto to get my mates scrambling and some dynamic shots then back to a wide angle for the top. That way I know what I'm shooting, and I already half prepped, all I need to do is anticipate.

fidUxvx.jpg
I want the Gucci Edition of the 'gade! ;) Is that red or orange?

That's "Omaha Orange" under flash

Here's a better one, for color anyhow

nziU2nI.jpg

Welcome back.

One of the things I've found to help is going out to spesifically take some photos. Know where you are going to shoot and what you are likely to encounter and what shots you want to get from it. You'll still miss shots, but the ones you do get you'll be more ready for. But say I'm going on a walk with some friends up a hill and I want to take a camera. I'll probably start with a wide angle to get some approch shots of the hill, if it gets steep say 1/3 of the way in I'd switch to a telephoto to get my mates scrambling and some dynamic shots then back to a wide angle for the top. That way I know what I'm shooting, and I already half prepped, all I need to do is anticipate.

Honestly I've tried that and it generally ends up something interrupts me. The clearest example, one night I went up to the Grandview Overlook here in Pittsburgh on my motorcycle with my XTi in my topcase, got parked just as a bunch of rowdy idiots rolled in, and a few minutes later red and blues appeared and everyone had to leave, even if they weren't part of the group, because someone made a complaint. Didn't even have a chance to get my lens affixed.

Honestly I've tried that and it generally ends up something interrupts me. The clearest example, one night I went up to the Grandview Overlook here in Pittsburgh on my motorcycle with my XTi in my topcase, got parked just as a bunch of rowdy idiots rolled in, and a few minutes later red and blues appeared and everyone had to leave, even if they weren't part of the group, because someone made a complaint. Didn't even have a chance to get my lens affixed.

The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglae

Seeing Sharon posting on page 1 is bittersweet.

Is this technically a zombie thead? Dunno, but anything that brings memories of SM4Him back around is a good thing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back