Hi looking for some camera head and tripod suggestions!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dobingo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. dobingo

dobingo TPF Noob!

My camera is a Canon EOS 7D mark ii. If you could provide me with a link to a tripod and camera head that are compatible with my camera that would be great. For prices pretty much anything under 400 bucks including both tripod and head. and any spare equipment I would need. I pretty much have no other equipment than my camera, lens, and the things that came in the box and I thought a tripod and a camera head would be a good place to start. Thanks!

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You've a good budget for a tripod and head and awareness that the two are oft sold apart when dealing with what most photographers would consider a "proper tripod" (or if not sold apart at least they come apart to allow variation).

What you don't really say is what your doing to do with your photography. What kinds of interests and ideas and direction do you want to go with. Or are you looking to "do it all"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Does this tripod need to be lightweight for hiking or traveling? Or would you prefer it to be slightly heavier and more stable?

Do you plan to shoot just photo, or also video? Any speciality needs like panoramas or macro?

The more you can tell us about what you shoot and what your priorities are, the more focused of a recommendation we can provide.

Your budget will get you a good middle of the road setup.

4. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

For a tripod and head I would consider the following:
    1) What is the total weight of the camera and lens - the lens is usually the deciding factor in the weight rating required in the tripod and head.
    2) What are you photographing - the head for macro and the head for birds are very different (gear head, ball head, gimbal head, fluid head).
    3) Portability - Are you using the tripod in a studio or planning to carry on long hikes in the field?
    4) Do you need the tripod to allow the camera to be set near ground level, or do you need the camera up high.
    5) What type of locks do you like, there are lever, twist, screw.
    6) New or used - you can pick up a good new tripod in your budget.

I have a heavy aluminum tripod that will hold a camera above eye level without extending the center column, and then a have a lightweight combo of carbon fiber legs (Manfrotto 190) and a ball head that can sit down low to the ground if required.

I like the look of the Manfrotto BeFree Advanced carbon fiber units if you are looking for portability.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobingo

dobingo TPF Noob!

Well I mostly wanna film movies/shorts/music videos for my buddy. So yeah not too much photography. Thanks for replying.

6. Destin

Photos OK to edit
    Then you’ll most certainly want something with a video (fluid) head.

Do you need to carry this tripod distances? Or can it be heavy?

7. dobingo

dobingo TPF Noob!

Not sure about carrying it distances but probably! I would like it to be on the lighter side but it dosen't have to be a feather.

8. dobingo

dobingo TPF Noob!

Heyo to anyone that forgot about this thread, some solid suggestions would really help me out! Thanks.

9. Destin

Photos OK to edit
    I’d check out something like this if you plan on shooting mostly video because the fluid head will allow you smooth panning movement.

Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod with 502HD MVK502055XPRO3

The only issue is that video heads aren’t really good for stills at all as they only allow two axis movement and don’t readily allow for vertical camera placement. But you said you’d be shooting hardly any still photos, so I think this would be a good starting point. Just know that you’d likely need a different head if you ever got serious into photography that requires a tripod.

10. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want to be able to swap heads, you want a tripod with a 3/8 inch stud.
    There are a few with the smaller 1/4 inch stud. Which you will need to use an adapter to use the heads. So that becomes a hassle later.

11. dobingo

dobingo TPF Noob!

awesome thanks1