Hi, new guy with a camera here!

151proof

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

Just got me a Nikon D40m kit with 18-55mm afs lens and loving it. This is my first DSLR and wanting to learn everything I can on it. I wonder why it took me so long to purchase one... oh well I got one now! I've owned a few point and shoot camera's including a Sony H5 which is why I stepped up to a DSLR.

Anyways, so as much as I am lovin my new camera the kit lens is not cutting it for me. Believe me its great and all but I want something with more zoom. Been lurking around here for awhile and I guess something like the "Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II Autofocus Lens" would be nice but way too expensive esp for a NEWB! So I'm leaning towards the "Nikon Zoom Normal-Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens". How important is having a VR lens than not?

Well, my battery is fully charged now and it seems like a nice day outside! Going out to shoot... be back in a bit!!!

Welcome aboard.

Welcome from another newbie. I also have a D40 and I picked up the 55-200 VR. I like it, I just dislike switching lenses all the time (18-200 will be in my future)

Definetly go with the VR, well worth the money from what i hear.

And welcome!

thanks guys and I actually just purchased a 55-200mm VR lens w/ UV filter tonight and excited to put it to use.

151, I upgraded the $50 to do the same thing.

Welcome aboard. I've been here a few weeks. Watch out for the people that hate new people doing what they've already found....some folks don't like it that you( or I or anyone else) has decided to do photography, buy and SLR, etc. etc. etc.

151, I upgraded the $50 to do the same thing.

Welcome aboard. I've been here a few weeks. Watch out for the people that hate new people doing what they've already found....some folks don't like it that you( or I or anyone else) has decided to do photography, buy and SLR, etc. etc. etc.

HAHA... thanks for the heads up! But why would they hate??? Im not a photographer, im just a guy with a camera... just like im not a driver but just a guy with a car lol! just kidding, I love this forum and learning alot already!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back