Hi! Newbie here, looking for Editing info

Kayleysmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, nice to meet all of you. I am an amateur photographer

Last edited:
How much are you able/willing to invest in software, and what camera/equipment are you currently using?

The most important part of getting the type of pictures you're hoping for is in taking the picture itself with a good understanding of exposure/white balance and other factors...much more so than editing.

That being said, I recommend LightRoom3 and either photoshop CS 5, photoshop elements, or the free program, Gimp.

How much are you able/willing to invest in software, and what camera/equipment are you currently using?

The most important part of getting the type of pictures you're hoping for is in taking the picture itself with a good understanding of exposure/white balance and other factors...much more so than editing.

That being said, I recommend LightRoom3 and either photoshop CS 5, photoshop elements, or the free program, Gimp.

I have a nikon I do have photos that I have taken...where can I post those?

Last edited:
CS 5 should be more than enough for editing..it's an amazing program! =)

If you want to post pictures, you'll need an outside hosting source like flickr or photobucket.. Then you just embed the links to your files here.

If you want to post pictures, you'll need an outside hosting source like flickr or photobucket.. Then you just embed the links to your files here.

What are the best plug ins/ filters to buy for the CS5? Just for editing purposes?

What are the best plug ins/ filters to buy for the CS5? Just for editing purposes?

I'm not sure that you need to buy any filters or plug ins to achieve what you're looking for. There are certainly actions that make editing "easier" and "faster..." but you'll learn soooo much more if you avoid relying on them early on.

I'd youtube/google to learn about layers, color balance, layer modes, opacity, brushes, layer masks, channels, curves...and so on.. All of these can be adjusted and utilized to create beautiful edits with a bit of practice and study. =)

I'm not sure that you need to buy any filters or plug ins to achieve what you're looking for. There are certainly actions that make editing "easier" and "faster..." but you'll learn soooo much more if you avoid relying on them early on.

I'd youtube/google to learn about layers, color balance, layer modes, opacity, brushes, layer masks, channels, curves...and so on.. All of these can be adjusted and utilized to create

Last edited:
heres my 2cents i shoot professionally and one of my cameras is a d3000 along with many others. if you dont even know how to use manual settings on a d3000 (entry level camera) why are you going to spend HUNDREDS to upgrade to a d90. a better camera wont give you a better picture you should learn what you have cause believe me the d3000 can go VERYYY FAR.

heres my 2cents i shoot professionally and one of my cameras is a d3000 along with many others. if you dont even know how to use manual settings on a d3000 (entry level camera) why are you going to spend HUNDREDS to upgrade to a d90. a better camera wont give you a better picture you should learn what you have cause believe me the d3000 can go VERYYY FAR.
[[

Last edited:

I start school for photography as soon as I finish my last course for nursing... A friend is selling me her D90 for cheap so I will have two cameras in case I have a problem with one in the future. I do photos of children who are sick.
Do you have some thoughts in mind on how or why you want to edit them? Like, maybe you want to make them appear to have more natural color; to look warmer, healthier? Maybe the photos have a greenish tint to them from the hospital lights and you want to fix that?

If you have specific thoughts, we can better help guide you probably.

I start school for photography as soon as I finish my last course for nursing... A friend is selling me her D90 for cheap so I will have two cameras in case I have a problem with one in the future. I do photos of children who are sick.
Do you have some thoughts in mind on how or why you want to edit them? Like, maybe you want to make them appear to have more natural color; to look warmer, healthier? Maybe the photos have a greenish tint to them from the hospital lights and you want to fix that?

Yes, just to make their skin more healthy and make them look natural and not so pale, just so the family will have something to keep. Many parents have approached me to do this for them and asked could I make them look somewhat healthier, happy...just trying to do what I can.

Last edited:

Yes, just to make their skin more healthy and make them look natural and not so pale, just so the family will have something to keep. Many parents have approached me to do this for them and asked could I amke them look somewhat healthier, happy...just trying to do what I can.
For that, I recommend the Portraiture plugin for Photoshop by Imagenomic. Here's the link:

Imagenomic - Imagination at Shutter Speed

It works REALLY well, and it's really easy to work with.

Yes, just to make their skin more healthy and make them look natural and not so pale, just so the family will have something to keep. Many parents have approached me to do this for them and asked could I amke them look somewhat healthier, happy...just trying to do what I can.
For that, I recommend the Portraiture plugin for Photoshop by Imagenomic. Here's the link:

Imagenomic - Imagination at Shutter Speed

It works REALLY well, and it's really easy to work with.

Thank you for that info. This is the type of input that I was looking for. I appreciate this.

Check out kenrockwell.com for settings on your D3000. If you do not get enough info try his site for the D40. Read his info on the D90 while you are there. Ken provides more USEFUL info than most manufacturers.

Ken Rockwell is an idiot best avoided by folks who are looking for helpful information. He mixes real info with ridiculous opinion and outright garbage in some bizarro version of what he considers humor.

Most reactions

Back