delko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Please tell C&C

Did a quick shots with my sister.
Still struggling with composition.
Her photo was on manual (lady in the photo)

Mine ( guy in photo) was in manual .
Canon 60 d with 50mm f1.8 plastic fantastic.

567da7ce.jpg

561ee8cf.jpg

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Your photo is better lit...the photo of your sister has one side well lit and the other is quite dark...you can't see her features.

On yours, I'm afraid you look bored or not really wanting to be there...something along those lines lol. Also, that barbed wire fence...ouch! Looks like the barbs are going right into you!

On your sister's portrait, also, her face seems a tad soft but it could be my eyes/monitor. I wouldn't have taken this in portrait style because you have so much dead space to your left.

Keep shooting!

C&C per req:

1. As with many (most?) portraits, I'm inclined to think this would have been stronger had it been shot in a vertical orientation. I think a tight crop on the subject, starting just above the lower strand of wire would help. Lighting isn't bad, but some fill image left would have helped.

2. An awkward crop, and less than ideal lighting. Shadows can be used to great effect, but in this case it just looks like a careless snapshot. Consider using your pop-up flash on manual as a fill light, or changing the subject's position to eliminate this. I'm guessing you shot this wide-open? The focus appears to be on her left arm/breast, as her face is slightly soft. Watch your focus points and try using a single point placed over the eye, also check your DoF tables to ensure your aperture is appropriate for the shot.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I think the second one has too much shadow / darkeness on one side and a touch out of focus.
The first one has a little bit of shadowing visible but not too much. Hope no one got cut up with that barbed wire.

Wow this is awesum this helps alot.

I found out to shift the focus points through the viewfinder.this will become very helpfull.

I was stupid enough to shoot on evaluation metering on atomatic focus point selection..

Correct at wide open think about f2.0 or f 2.8.

I hope the composition is fine. Im busy doing bryan peterson's book on seeing creatively.... And ussually avoid using portrait coz its kinda dificult to see the exposure level indicater when it is upside down... I will need to practise this it will really become usefull...

Thanx :)

Evaluative metering isn't bad, unless the subject has a lot of contrast with the background, like it you were shooting sports at night.

I usually change the focus point to the center point when shooting stationary objects. It makes it easier to compose.

On yours, I'm afraid you look bored or not really wanting to be there...something along those lines lol.

Probably thinking about the bandaids he will need after jumping over the barbed wire fence.

Composition:
Look, you have what appears to be nice evening or morning light, nice trees in the background - so next time think about the composition and what could be pleasing to the eye around the subject.

#1 I am drawn to the fence. Put the trees behind the subject. and eliminate where the bottom of the shirt is. Looks cut off.

#2, I cant forgive that post for getting in the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back