hi-res scan of slides/negs

plpolo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie here and I got some question that's been nagging me for a while.

The hi-res scans of my slides and negs from the output bureau are very grainly when viewed on the computer but the lo-res scans I created at home looks ok. Is this normal? If so, how can I minimize the grains on the hi-res scan so that they are suitable to be posted on the Net?

Thanks in advance! :)

Are you sure its the photo, maybe its the program you viewed it with?

The program that came with my scanner at high resolution looks grainy, but when i veiw it with photoshop it looks clean and crisp

Just a thought :D

hi Mr. photoman, thanks for your input! Yes I think you're right! If I were to print the hi-res scans, they'd all come out ok. But posting them on the Net is a pain coz the grains would show up like ping-pong balls when viewed with a browser.

If there any easy way to get rid of the "grains" as they refuse to go away even after I resized the images?

What size is the high resolution scan?

What size is the low resolution scan?

If you have a high res scan that is 2820 dpi for instance (the negative scanner I have) you have a photo sized at 4032x2688. Viewed at 100% grain will show with print film faster than 100. With fine grained slides the grain is appearent but not bad at all. With print film, even 200 shows considerable grain when viewing it full size on a computer monitor.

The low res scan when viewed at full size usually comes in at ~640x480 which is not going to show grain.

Thanks Mr. voodoocat! The size of the hi-res scans is about 3200dpi. The slides are mostly of iso 100. However, when I try to size down the scans to about 680x480, the grains are still very noticeable when viewed with a browser. Is there any way to deal with this problem? Thanks!

How are you viewing these files? In your internet browser? Because if you have any sort of internet speed software installed, it will probably have some sort of image compression.

why don't you post one so we can see what you're talking about.

Most reactions

Back